Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Revit

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
yes_and_no
604 Views, 9 Replies

Old Revit

I know a lot of places out there still using 2014 autocad and Revit 2017.

Why we still use Rv17 is above my pay grade Q&A.

But I wonder why, in general ?

I can guess my boss doesn't want to upgrade our PC, but what about other places, anyone ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
edwin.prakoso
in reply to: yes_and_no

A common reason is that they have a project using an older Revit version. It's not good to upgrade the software in the middle of the project, so they may plan to upgrade after the project is finished. Some projects can take years to complete, and the pandemic can also cause a delay.

Many companies also don't upgrade the software every year.

Cheers,
Edwin Prakoso
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
RDAOU

1. It is the first version he bought or was convinced him to get,
  2. Revit wasn't his call the first place
  3. From his perspective 2017 delivers what he wants, regardless if you need to do extra work to deliver it
  4. And last but not least, he believes that he is evading subscription costs

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 10
yes_and_no

I also thought maybe from 2018 Rv starts to charge yearly, but 2017 backward is licensed for life.

Message 5 of 10
RDAOU

@yes_and_no 

I don't think so...If I am not mistaken, they ended perpetual licensing in 2014 or 2015 and switched to subscription. And now they also switched to log-in. Anyhow, I do not think it is just an issue of licensing type or license costs...but more about the percussion an upgrade can bring along with it. 

The guy says, it can run as is as long as we are not collaborating with anyone outside this office and the current workstations running 2017 perfectly fine and delivers what we need.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 10
yes_and_no
in reply to: RDAOU

I can see that.

Our engineers already use 2021, and we still sending out background in cad14. The benefit of bring in engineer model into ours is to check for conflict, which can be done without by using braincell, just like they have done that pre computer age. My boss says if there is a conflict, usually structure, then it is structure engineer to solve the problem, and we just simply send our R17 file for their benefit.

One of our engineers indeed keep a R17 version and work with us until CD phase started.

I also think that R17 make some great improvement and that's enough for our line of work.

Message 7 of 10
ToanDN

It is fine.  You can ask your consultants to export from Revit to IFC and link the IFCs in your R2017 model to do coordination/clash detection.  It's no different than working among different platforms (Revit, ArchiCAD, Trimble).  Plus the final coordination can be done in Navisworks, which doesn't care which versions of Revit you are using.

Message 8 of 10
yes_and_no
in reply to: ToanDN

Wow, this is excellent to know. I should have paid more attention when seeing people posts about IFC here. Thanks.

Let hope Rv won't take that option away from their next version.

Message 9 of 10
jj5809986

Many businesses choose not to upgrade their software because they do not want to disrupt their ongoing projects by doing so. As many projects take years to finish.

Message 10 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: jj5809986

@jj5809986 wrote:

Many businesses choose not to upgrade their software because they do not want to disrupt their ongoing projects by doing so. As many projects take years to finish.

Not really. I have projects going in different versions. More than one version can be installed without "disrupting" previous projects.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report