Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia GTX Supported by Revit / Autodesk?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
fernando.orive
21716 Views, 6 Replies

Nvidia GTX Supported by Revit / Autodesk?

Hi,

After researching into the Autodesk forum similar questions, I got a little bit confused as I found completely different answers.

Could you please clarify this matter with me as I just finish my architectural degree and I am thinking of purchasing a new computer? I would like to get the best performance possible for the best value and the Nvidia Quadro are quite expensive. I will mainly use for programs such as Revit, Revit Live, 3ds Max and Vray, with the possibility of using the virtual reality feature.

As you can see in the image and link below, sometimes the answer from Autodesk is totally clear and they say that any Graphics Card is supported by them, even recommending the Nvidia GTX 1080 for Revit Live for best performance.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/stop-pretending-quadro-cards-are-better-than-geforce/idi-...

Autodesk Answer.JPG

Also, in the webpage that shows the Certified Graphics Hardware for 3ds Max 2016, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 is clearly recommended and certified, but in some documentation from the same 3ds max 2016, it is said the following:

Important: Although Autodesk tested the NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Raedeon consumer graphics cards, it is Autodesk, NVIDIA and AMD policy to only recommend and support the professional NVIDIA Quadro and AMD FirePro graphics family cards.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/file_downloads/3dsmax2016_GFX_Results_Dec.pdf

My questions are:

If Autodesk has recommended and certified Nvidia GTX graphics cards for Revit and 3ds Max , why do they seem to not support them?

Also, would I violate any software licenses if I use an Nvidia GTX graphics card as I read in some of the comments in this forum? 

Thank you for your help,

F

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

hello, you may try to check it HERE previous thread to get some idea. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Thank you for your answer and the link.

As in similar questions in this forum, the answer from Autodesk is that they know that all the graphics cards with the minimum requirements (supporting DirectX 11 and Shader Model ) will properly display graphics in Revit. That means basically any graphics card in the market released in the last few years. 

However, they don't clearly say that they will support you if you have any issues. Just that if you are experiencing problems with the display of Revit models, they recommend turning off hardware acceleration (HA).

Is it really that important that Autodesk supports the Graphics Card? What is the actual meaning behind it?

I just want to be sure before I buy a new computer for $3000 to $4000 with an Nvidia GTX 1080. As I mentioned in my previous comment, 3DS Max and Revit Live recommends clearly this type of graphics card but, from Revit 2015 till Revit 2019 they just certified and recommend Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro, which makes no sense. 

Thank you,

F

Message 4 of 7

sorry no more further suggestion. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 5 of 7
loboarch
in reply to: fernando.orive

Autodesk does not really do testing of specific hardware configurations. our Certified hardware page ( https://knowledge.autodesk.com/certified-graphics-hardware ) is going to be the best we have, but this list is generated when the hardware manufacturers take the time to test and certify their own hardware. Autodesk doe snot do the testing.  In most cases most modern graphics cards are going to work just fine with Revit. the Revit display system does not put a huge load on the video card like other applications, so most cards are going to be fine and the higher end cards are not going to give you a significant performance boost over a more middle of the road card.

As for the GTX cards, my  work laptop has a GTX960M card in it, and it works just fine using Revit.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 7
DarrenP

in my laptop i have a gtx 1080  i am running Revit 2018, 2019, 3ds Max 2018, 2019, Revit Live just fine

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mpwuzhere

GTX 1080 at work and dual 1080's at home.

Over at Revitforum we suggest GTX cards most of the time.  

Quadro's are nice though if you get the latest and greatest and get the ones with lots of ram.  They are just expensive and the cost difference between the Quadro and GTX could be a faster processor which is very important for Revit to work optimally.

As for support...technically all the new Quadro cards would not be supported.  The list is usually a couple of years old.  

When they say all cards will work, well, to a point they work.  If you get lots of black triangles, your card does not work.  Neither does mobo/intel cards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report