Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North Arrow Rotation

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tninhPNQGV
568 Views, 13 Replies

North Arrow Rotation

Hello, I have trouble with getting my North arrow to work properly.  Can you help me? I didn't know what I did wrong. 

Thank you,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: tninhPNQGV

Why don't you just temporarily change the View Orientation to TRUE NORTH and place a  12 o'clock Compass in it. When you toggle the View Orientation back to PROJECT NORTH the Compass will rotate with the View - always pointing to True North. 

Message 3 of 14
tninhPNQGV
in reply to: barthbradley

I don't know how to do what you talked about.  I like to place this North arrow on a sheet instead a view. 

Message 4 of 14
barthbradley

Get these Project files and Advanced Courses: https://www.patreon.com/balkanarchitect Subscribe for more! Please Like this Tutorial! Follow me on social media: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mr.balkanarchitect/ Facebook: ...
Message 5 of 14
tninhPNQGV

IMG_3945.jpeg

IMG_3946.jpeg

 Thank you giving me the arrow family, but it is not what I need. When I rotate the true north angle. The point I circled in red doesn’t stay at center point. What can I do to  keep that point at center of the circle? 

Message 6 of 14
tninhPNQGV

Thank you giving me the arrow family, but it is not what I need. When I rotate the true north angle. The point I circled in red doesn’t stay at center point. What can I do to  keep that point at center of the circle? 

The video completely makes sense to me. 

IMG_3946.jpeg

IMG_3945.jpeg

Message 7 of 14
barthbradley

Yours won't flex that way.

Again, Best Practice:  

TRUE NORTH COMPASS.png

Message 8 of 14
tninhPNQGV

Thank you! Can you also show me how to snap the point I circle in red to the middle of the circle, so when I change project true North angle it change with it?

Message 9 of 14
Simon_Weel

There's nothing wrong with your arrow family. Revit don't play nice with angular parameters in the Family editor - like you experience - it moves the pivot point. Once loaded in the project, the rotation point won't move if you change the angle.

Message 10 of 14
tninhPNQGV
in reply to: Simon_Weel

I don't know how it works for you, but when I loaded it in  a project.  This is what happens. I need project north and project true north rotate separately.

Message 11 of 14
Tom_Kunsman

Try this - the filled region was proving a bit difficult to control - but this is close 

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 12 of 14
Mike.FORM

This is my North Arrow, it has both nested Project North and True North arrow and both can be rotated independently.

How I get around the issue of the point moving when the arrow is rotated by a parameter is I add a circle with an invisible line (dash line in image) that encompasses the entire arrow with the center of the circle where I want my rotation to happen.

Revit always likes to rotate families at their defacto centroid so adding a circle forces the center to where I want it and thus removing the need to lock and constrain with a bunch ref lines and other things.

MikeFORM_0-1719335235885.png

Message 13 of 14
barthbradley

@tninhPNQGV wrote:

Thank you! Can you also show me how to snap the point I circle in red to the middle of the circle, so when I change project true North angle it change with it?

The Text won't flex.  The rest of the Elements in your Family flex fine and dandy in the Project. Did you try? Delete the Text and try again.  Let us know how it goes.  

Message 14 of 14
tninhPNQGV

Thank you everyone for helping me!  I finally got it figured out.  I created a new generic annotation family and use other nested family in it. The insertion point is in the middle.  It's the same as what I had before, but for some reason when I created the new generic annotation family, it works fine.  @barthbradley @Simon_Weel @Mike.FORM @Tom_Kunsman  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators