Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Room Bounding Wall still bounds room

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
dtpeter2901
3103 Views, 17 Replies

Non-Room Bounding Wall still bounds room

We have a project on BIM 360 Teams were several soffit walls aren't acting as they should.

They have a base offset from the floor 7'-6" and go up to the level above.

The room bounding check box is unchecked.  

However the wall is still room bounding.

If you check the room bounding check box, apply the properties and then uncheck the box again, the wall behaves as intended and the room appears fine.  However as soon as you save the wall seems to be acting as if it's room bounding and room no longer fills that space.

I've also check Ceilings and those are also not set to room bounding.

it doesn't appear to be happening on every soffit wall, but those are the only walls that it seems to be impacting.

Has anyone else run across this issue?  

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
barthbradley
in reply to: dtpeter2901

Something's got to be bounding the room.  If you want to post the file, I'll find it.  If I can't, I'll eat crow. Fair enough? 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Did you check to see if there is a hidden room separation line? Sometimes others will place them over existing walls to correct bounding issues. 

Message 4 of 18
ToanDN

I have had it happened.  Cut and paste the soffit walls in place see if it helps.

Message 5 of 18
dtpeter2901
in reply to: ToanDN

Can't post it.  If I can get an NDA signed I could send a link.

I'll try the cut and paste option.

We've already tried deleting the walls and placing them back in.  Again they look great and look like the fix worked, right up until you sync.  As soon as you sync back to the Central, the problem shows up again.

If i can eliminate enough of the model I'll try to post something.  But I have a sneaky suspicion it can't be reproduced unless it's hosted on the cloud.  I've never run into room bounding issues on any other project, except those hosted on the cloud.  

Message 6 of 18
Viveka_CD

Hi @dtpeter2901 

Which version of Revit are you using? Can you confirm that it is updated with latest hotfix?

Can you share a journal files, your Revit.ini and a screencast to test?

Regards,

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

Not the first time i have run into Room Bounding issues. I swear i see them daily. @dtpeter2901 This specific problem I have seen happened due to the interference of Plan regions, Room Boundaries, Overlapping Levels (Or levels between the cut plane and the view depth), masses, and in some cases cad files.  

Message 8 of 18
dtpeter2901
in reply to: Viveka_CD

We're using 2018. (18.3.3.18  -  20190510_1515(x64)  -  2018.3.3)

To the best of my knowledge I'm as up to date as I can be.

I've attached a journal file, screen captures videos were to big I guess.  I can remake them as screen shots.

As you can see, when I first select the wall, the room bounding is unchecked.  I apply the check and then un-check the box and the room fill shows the room entering the space as expected.  I save the file and the space jumps back to the way it was before.

Message 9 of 18
dtpeter2901
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd love for someone from Autodesk to explain to me how a cad file becomes room bounding.  I've never seen that one.  I've check for plan regions and we don't have any in that area of the building.  

Still doesn't seem to explain why I can get it to work but kicking the wall room bounding check box to fix the problem.

I've had this with linked models no longer being room bounding, but never individual elements.  And that was only on projects on BIM360.  Never an issue when file was stored on a local server.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Just spit-balling, but is there a wall on a level above with constraints to the current level that keep resetting the room? do you have a section through that area? If so, can you do a cross-window select on the area in question with Reveal Hidden elements turned on? 

Message 11 of 18
dtpeter2901

If I delete the wall I've been making non-room bounding, the issue goes away and doesn't come back.

The copy to clipboard, delete and paste aligned to current seems to be fixing the problem.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous

@dtpeter2901 cool beans!

Message 14 of 18
Viveka_CD

@dtpeter2901 wrote:

We have a project on BIM 360 Teams were several soffit walls aren't acting as they should.

They have a base offset from the floor 7'-6" and go up to the level above.

The room bounding check box is unchecked.  

However the wall is still room bounding.

If you check the room bounding check box, apply the properties and then uncheck the box again, the wall behaves as intended and the room appears fine.  However as soon as you save the wall seems to be acting as if it's room bounding and room no longer fills that space.

I've also check Ceilings and those are also not set to room bounding.

it doesn't appear to be happening on every soffit wall, but those are the only walls that it seems to be impacting.

Has anyone else run across this issue?  

Thanks!

@dtpeter2901  Can you try adjusting the Computation Height parameter  (in elevation or section)

The computation height of a room is a read only parameter that is set from the computation height of the level associated with the base level of the room element. 

Let me know if this helps!

Regards,

Message 15 of 18
dtpeter2901
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Check computational height.  It's set to 3'.

I've also tried to change the height of the room.  That didn't affect anything either..

Copy to clipboard.  Delete.  Paste aligned to current seemed to resolve the problem.

Strange part is that work, but deleting the wall and re-drawing it didn't.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

We have come across a similar problem. So although walls were non-bounding it was remembering old boundaries. In our case, checking walls as Bounding first and unchecking them again worked until first synchronization.  Rooms kept returning to as if walls were bounding. As a solution what we have realized is  before syncing, if you put a value in one of empty room parameters it somehow forgets the previous boundaries and resets whole thing and works as expected.

File is  in Revit 2020.2 and a BIM360 project.

Message 17 of 18
dtpeter2901

Just ran into that same problem on a 2019 project on BIM 360.  Had a wall that was in the model actually, nothing to do with a link, that I needed to "Reset" the room bounding by checking the box, applying and then unchecking the box again.

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

Hi , Was it still working after syncing? Ours was not, but weird enough if  I had changed a room parameter value before syncing it fixes the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report