Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Void family will cut in void but not in project.

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
detlevvanloenhout
1698 Views, 35 Replies

Nested Void family will cut in void but not in project.

After searching around fo a while I have come to the surprising conclusion that the question I am about to ask does not seem to have popped up properly.

What I am trying to do is make a complex roof family.

This consists of a number of nested families, such as the composite roof (01)

01-roof.PNG

and a facebased void family (02).

02 - void.PNG

These are both loaded into a generic family with the rest of the gutters etc. in image 03.

03 - combinatie.PNG

Now if I load this family into a project, my voids will not show as voids, but rather as solids?

04 - in project.PNG

Can somebody help me with this problem?

I have already made all the families shared and cut with voids when loaded.

Tags (2)
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:
#1 = face based void
#2 = family, do not load #1 to #2
#3 = family
load #2 to #3, load #1 to #3 to cut #2
#4 = project
load #3 to #4

That works, too. The void displays properly in the project. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 22 of 36
ToanDN
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

What version are you using?
Message 23 of 36
detlevvanloenhout

revitopbouwdak.PNG

This is what the problem is, that the combination of an external void family and an external 'dakpakket' family (plain stacked roof (layers of insulation,multiplex etc.)) seems to not show once you push it further into a project.

I am on 2017.1 if i am not mistaken. 

@Alfredo_Medina can you post the project in which this works? I am very curious. if it works, then I guess using an 'illegal' roof family might be the culprit?

Message 24 of 36

I use 2016. I can post the sample file later

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 25 of 36
ToanDN

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

I use 2016. I can post the sample file later

Maybe it works in earlier versions.  It definitely breaks in 2017.

Message 26 of 36
ToanDN

Okay I'll be damned.

I just tested with 2017 using fresh families and project and it works like @Alfredo_Medina has described.  OS, there must be something going on with @detlevvanloenhout families.

Message 27 of 36
ToanDN
in reply to: detlevvanloenhout

@detlevvanloenhout

I think I may have figured out the problem.

Look at the picture below, I created a copy of the roof file and make it not shared, load it in the host family, add voids, load the host family in project.  Voila, the voids are now showing on the copied roof.

But I understand you need it to be a shared family for scheduling in project so I am not sure you can do anything about that.

Revit file is attached for reference.

Capture.PNG

Message 28 of 36
detlevvanloenhout

@ToanDN

Ok so.... still bugged as to the way Revit could be working.

And also, yes, i kind of need the shared family option to retrieve my quantities and such in schedules. We are growing ever reliant on Solibri and Vico for our quantity retrieval. 

Bigger issue that might arrise (i'll have to check) is that if we do not use shared families, the family, when converting to IFC doesn't 'decompose' into its smaller family sub parts. So for instance the roof-tiles, which is for us a quantifyable volume, needs to be retrieved...

solibri result.PNG

Message 29 of 36

As we said in the beginning of this thread, maybe is better to do roofs and support directly in the project..

Message 30 of 36

The 

Message 31 of 36
martijn_pater

Consider just cutting with a void in the 'dakpakket' nested family and associating parameters if any...
…and/or nesting the void cut there (and associating parameters), that should also work.

Message 32 of 36

Edit: gotta start paying attention to those timestamps...
Anyway, would work in rvt2020 but doesn't with rvt2017.

Message 33 of 36

Hi Martijn,

Welcome to an old issue. I am currently running 2019, and i can confirm that the problem didn't get solved in that version yet. Currently installing 2020 to see if this contains this killer feature. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 34 of 36

If you just use a void cut (with rvt2020) it will work in the project, but you should not nest the 'panlatdek' though because that will not be cuttable (or cut that with face based void cut --- doesn't work, only in project). You can use the 'pumpkin carving' method by associating the extrusion end/start with parameters for instance to control if there is or isn't a roof opening cut. And for length/width just associate parameters to the void/void sketch.

Message 35 of 36

Regretfully, i have to find that Revit 2020 does not yet work as I would've hoped, which would be like the flowchart i posted earlier:

revitopbouwdak.PNG

So we will keep to our current solution of making overly complex families with lots of internal voids in the subfamily that all have to be connected on a top level...

Result of the test using nonsense-families is in the project file. You can see the void when hovering over, it just doesn't subtract when in the project.

Message 36 of 36

I meant a modeled void, not cut using a face based void family (does seem to work in 2017 actually). I do agree that it is overly complex. Works with exception of the nested 'panlatten' family, so you just need to model that in the same family also.

revitopbouwdak.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report