Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple buildings

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
justinlahey1
8527 Views, 6 Replies

Multiple buildings

Hi, I am starting a project for tafe and the brief is for 4 three storey townhouses and I would like them to be four seperate buildings, not side by side with party walls. What I'd like to know is can I do it all in the one project and create dependent views for each floor plan? Or is it best practice to work on each building in a different project then link them into a project which has the site plan? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ennujozlagam
in reply to: justinlahey1

Its better to link each building in your site plan. Thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi,

First of all , you can do the 4 buildings at one Revit file , no problem at all , but there is some points you have to take in considerations for taking the right discussion ...

* The level of detail of your project , as  this will have a strong impact on the file size which will control if you can do all the 4 buildings at one file or you have to create each building on a file for better performance and better file size.

* The Sheet Production: do you have sheets that compile the 4 buildings?? or all the sheets is per building ..

- If all the sheets is per building then you better go for a file for each building.

* Coordinates:

if you use the multi-files for multi-buildings , then you have t think about the linking way (origin to origin / center to center / shared coordinates)

* the number of architects that will work over the project .

If there is an architect for each building (for example) , so it is much better to create each building in a file , and after that link all in one master site.

I think these points are the most important ones as a brain storming at the start up of any project , to manage successfully what you will do after that.

I wish I helped you 🙂

Message 4 of 7
justinlahey1

That's great, thanks so much now I know that both ways are appropriate depending on the situation. I will work as individual projects then link them to a master file because the four different buildings are 3 levels and all with different floor plans.
Message 5 of 7
chrisplyler

Unless they're all at the same real elevation with the same Levels, I would not even consider building them all in one file.

A file for each building, and a master site file.

Each building can be modeled orthagonally to Project North in its own file. They each get linked into the site file, moved/rotated as necessary to place them in the right place/orientation on the site, and then gets a set of shared coordinates published from the site file back to the building file.

Message 6 of 7
dannyelachi
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Dear, 

If I may add to the question. What happens if each has there own set of levels... wouldn't this complicate the file further? wouldn't you have unnecessary levels showing up everywhere? 

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: dannyelachi

Create scope box for each building and assign the building's levels and Grids to that scope box.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators