Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi Story Stairs: Discontinuous Wall Mounted Handrails

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2169 Views, 4 Replies

Multi Story Stairs: Discontinuous Wall Mounted Handrails

Hi All,

Yet another issue with stairs & railing in Revit (2017.2)...

I have a 4 story building. The first level's floor-to-floor height is 1.2 X. Levels 2-3 have a floor-to-floor height of 1 X.

The stairs are modeled as one, continuous stair set connected by landings.

I have two issues:

1. One side of the stair set needs to have a continuous handrail with fancy gooseneck transitions. The other side of the stair set needs discontinuous, wall mounted handrails (along stairs only, none along landing). Is there a workaround to make this happen?Capture.JPG
  2.  I know its best practice to have bldg levels divisible by riser height....The stair set hits the top level correctly but slightly misses floors in between. Floor slabs are highlighted in blue & should act as landings. However, since a continuous handrail is needed as stated above, landings 2 & 3 were created. Is there a way to get rid of these landings & still keep the continuous handrails?Capture 2.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Not a big fan of Multi-Story stairs because of challenges like this.  I avoid them like the plague. That's my input: don't Multi-Story them.  

Message 3 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: Anonymous

You can get it to work, but you may need the "split railing" functionality tool from 2019 (that at least made it pretty easy for me). I am not sure if it can be done without it.

I got the on pictured to work by creating the multi story stair and then using the split railing tool to split the railing at the intermediate landing/flight, making 3 separate railings. Then i edited the top rail of the railing type to have the extensions at the top and bottom.

2018-07-16_1258.png

Once I had that i could attach to as many level as i wanted and all the edits carry through.

P.S. I know the request was about "wall mounted" handrails, I just did not have that type in the file I was working with. The pipe railing in my picture could have just as easily been wall mounted if i loaded that type into my example.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: loboarch

Looks like 2019 may turn my Multi-Story frown upsidedown.  Smiley SadSmiley Happy

Thanks for sharing

Message 5 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Looks like 2019 may turn my Multi-Story frown upsidedown.  Smiley SadSmiley Happy

Thanks for sharing

Yes the split railing tool is pretty handy in these kinds of situations.  Smiley Happy

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report