Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving AutoCAD details to Revit Details.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
904 Views, 6 Replies

Moving AutoCAD details to Revit Details.

Is there any faster way possible to move custom AutoCAD details to Revit without having to trace each drawing. I have well over a thousand details that need to be moved. Picture shows small example of what needs to be converted to a Revit file. Capture.JPG

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

You don't have to trace them to be able to use them in Revit.

...still, I would recommend converting them to Revit Elements eventually.   

...BTW, every single one of our Projects has CAD Construction or Architectural Details in it (typically from Manufacturers).  We don't convert everything to Revit.  That would be too costly.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Do you have an example of what the end product looks like? Or maybe a google search I can perform to get an idea to present to my bosses.

Message 4 of 7
barthbradley

Hmm? The end product is exactly what you have in AutoCAD.  I'm thinking there is more to your question than what the end product looks like. What is it? 

Maybe this will be of help: 

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Existing-CAD-Details-Lets-Use-Them-CAD-Revit-Its-...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I would also like to suggest that some day you invest in converting details over, even typical ones. You should use families for your components, like gyp board, batt, studs, etc. That way you can tag them. Then you can make sure that any new details use the same tag, and therefore, the same text. If you create a container file of typical details, you can also import 2D views into your current project file.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

The picture I showed has a title block and rev block and some details have specific layers where in AutoCAD we could just turn them on and off once inserted into a detail sheet. So that is part of the problem, no layers in Revit to turn on and off. The second part is our company wanting to completely stepping away from AutoCAD at some point. So when we release a new product how much time will it take for us to create a detail like the one I showed in original message. I took one Revit course that was 8 weeks long and all we learned was how to build a house. So some of this rings a bell. 

Message 7 of 7
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

...So that is part of the problem, no layers in Revit to turn on and off.  

The AutoCAD layer information is maintained and controlled in Revit via the Imported Families tab in Object Styles and/or through View Visibility and Graphics Overrides.

You ought to watch/read the AU video/handout materials I posted above. I think it will answer all your questions and then some. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report