Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move internal origin / startup location

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
tl
Explorer
43266 Views, 28 Replies

Move internal origin / startup location

Hello,

Is it possible to move the internal origin / startup location in revit without having to fysically move the entire building With all Components?

For example, I have a revit file where the internal origin / startup location is in the upper right corner over my building, but I want to move it to the lower left corner South of my building. Is there any way of doing this without having to Select all Components and moving the Whole building? Because this is quite risky when it is a big Project. I tryed about everything. Moving the PBP pinned and unpinned, moving the survey point pinned and unpinned. When I move the PBP pinned, it seems the internal origin follows. This is very frustrating, as I often open old files where the PBP,SP and internal origin is up and right of the building. I want to have it South and left of my building.

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
jeroen_vanmassenhove
in reply to: tl

@Anonymous wrote:

When I move the PBP pinned, it seems the internal origin follows. This is very frustrating, as I often open old files where the PBP,SP and internal origin is up and right of the building. I want to have it South and left of my building.

So you're saying it worked, the PBP is at the desired location, but it's frustrating that older files have the old PBP? What do you expect then?

Message 3 of 29
ToanDN

You cannot move the internal origin but you can move the unclipped PBP to the desired location then reclip it.

Message 4 of 29
tl
Explorer
in reply to: jeroen_vanmassenhove

No, what Im saying is that:

Say, I open an old file, where PBP and internal origin is in the same Place, and these are situated in the upper right corner of my work space, North of the building. And I want to move BOTH PBP and  internal origin to the lower left corner of my Workspace (South of the building) how do I solve this? If I unclip the PBP and move it, it moves away from the internal origin. And if I move it clipped, the building goes With it. So far, the only solution I have had is to Select all Components of the building, and move everything. And this is not recommended if the Project is very detailed With thousands of Components.

Message 5 of 29
ToanDN

I heard what you were saying. But as I said, the internal origin cannot be moved, hence its name. Just like the AutoCAD WCS cannot be moved. If you must move the model closer to the origin, link it in a new file, move, and bind. There are no easy ways.
Message 6 of 29
tl
Explorer
in reply to: ToanDN

Ok, Thank you. That is what I suspected....

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous

i tried to link the revit file, moved it closer to startup but when i try to bind it it gives me a error.

binding eror.JPG

idea's to fix it?

Message 8 of 29
RobDraw

@john_kinder wrote:

I can tell which buildings were designed in Revit when I drive down the road because they're all boxy and simple looking and conform to only what Revit will let users do in the time they have to trouble shoot.

LMAO!!! Maybe you aren't familiar with what Revit can do. You might be amazed at the buildings and systems that have been designed with Revit. Do an internet search and have a look.

@john_kinder wrote:

Because no one has any choice.

There is always a choice.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 29
iainsavage

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I just want to double check that I'm doing this properly.

After we had done a substantial amount of modelling and annotation of sheets etc, the Architect in their wisdom decided to move their entire model so that their Internal Origin was in a different position relative to the building/site.

Rather than doing the same with my model I linked my model into their new version, aligned it and published shared coordinates back to my project.

The models now align PBP to PBP, they align using shared coordinates and the aggregated model in BIM 360 aligns...BUT the Architect would like the internal origins to also align.

Personally I don't see their point but am I correct in thinking that if I were to do that it would mean capturing and moving everything in my model to achieve this?

What would that do to my annotated views, sections etc?

PS: linking and binding doesn't work - it disconnects the majority of my pipework and leaves them undefined and it would take days to reconnect everything.

Message 10 of 29
ToanDN
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage wrote:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I just want to double check that I'm doing this properly.

After we had done a substantial amount of modelling and annotation of sheets etc, the Architect in their wisdom decided to move their entire model so that their Internal Origin was in a different position relative to the building/site.

Rather than doing the same with my model I linked my model into their new version, aligned it and published shared coordinates back to my project.

The models now align PBP to PBP, they align using shared coordinates and the aggregated model in BIM 360 aligns...BUT the Architect would like the internal origins to also align.

Just say "No Sir No" and don't open those cans of worms below.

Personally I don't see their point but am I correct in thinking that if I were to do that it would mean capturing and moving everything in my model to achieve this?

What would that do to my annotated views, sections etc?

PS: linking and binding doesn't work - it disconnects the majority of my pipework and leaves them undefined and it would take days to reconnect everything.

Message 11 of 29
mollybm

My internal origin moves when I use the "relocate project" tool.  Everyone keeps saying that it can't move.  Anyone else experience this?

Message 12 of 29

I am experiencing the same thing.  When I relocate the project, the internal origin also moves, despite everyone and their brother saying it "can't".  Anyone have an idea how to stop it from moving?

Message 13 of 29
ToanDN
in reply to: mollybm

@mollybm wrote:

My internal origin moves when I use the "relocate project" tool.  Everyone keeps saying that it can't move.  Anyone else experience this?

What you did just moved the survey point coordinate system the opposite direction.  The Internal Origin did not move.

Message 14 of 29
john_kinder

Ask RobDraw.  He knows everything.

Message 15 of 29
vincent

Yes it does, the internal origin does move when you use relocate project.
Vincent
Message 16 of 29
vincent

Same here
Vincent
Message 17 of 29
Base12

Here's how I reset all of the base points, etc. First I unclip the Survey Point and move to 0,0 by overriding its N/S/E/W coordinates.  Then I re-clip it to stay put.  Then I select the PBP object and right-click / and chose Move to Original Origin (where ever that was from the last project).  Once I find where it went, then I use the Manage > Position > Relocate Project and physically move the PBP and snap it to the Survey Point at 0,0, and ta-da, the internal origin is now moved to 0,0.  You can confirm right-clicking again on the PBP, and the "Move to Original Origin" option doesn't do anything, because that point has been moved to 0,0.

Message 18 of 29
RPTHOMAS108
in reply to: vincent

Below shows the internal position for both the internal origin object and the survey point object (IsShared = true). The first image below is taken before relocating the project from bottom left corner of floor indicated on plan to top right corner and the second afterwards.

Can be seen that the only thing moving is the survey point (in the opposite direction) as noted above. So I strongly believe internal origin is always at 0,0,0 but curious if anyone has any empty Revit project file examples where this is not the case? I do wonder why they include the position property for internal origin object but I've never known it to be anything other than 0,0,0.

The key coordinate to refer to below is 'Position' since that is reporting the location of each object within the internal system (system that never changes).

Before relocating projectBefore relocating project

After relocating projectAfter relocating project

Message 19 of 29
ToanDN
in reply to: RPTHOMAS108

@RPTHOMAS108 

You are absolutely correct.  Relocating Project is just a fancy way of moving Survey point

Message 20 of 29
imerino.invap

You can't move the internal origin, since it is indeed the mathematical zero (X=0,Y=0,Z=0,0°) from the CAD coordinate system.

It is not technically feasible, although you can move all components around it in order for them to be relative to that coordinate system. You can do this operation by selecting all components and applying the rotation/translation you need with the rotate/move command. This will get all model content repositioned according to the new coordination system you are trying to adopt.

The problem is that in Revit all operations are, as it seems, somehow parametric and by doing this operation in complex models you end up having lots of broken relationships that result in missing components, disconnections, and other critical issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report