Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Text height offset

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Redrunner92
1226 Views, 10 Replies

Model Text height offset

I created a simple sign family. All the parameters are working as I expect them to except one: the model text is not moving up on the sign based on the "Lines of Text" parameter after I change the text style. After I make the text Bold or Italic or both via their respective Yes/No parameters, the model text remains in its same position regardless of what integer value I provide in the "Lines of Text" parameter. When I uncheck both and change the "Lines of Text" the model text once again moves around as I expect it to behave. Does anyone know why the text freezes like this when it is bold or italic?

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
barthbradley
in reply to: Redrunner92

Yeah, it keeps breaking.  Try nesting the Model Text in.  

Message 3 of 11
Redrunner92

Nesting it is bringing up a few different problems, mainly the Center (Left/Right) ref plane isn't showing up for me to align-and-lock. I'm getting the feeling model text is one of Autodesk's neglected children. Looks like making a 1-line text object and a 2-line text object, with a visibility Y/N parameter on each, will be the simplest way to go. Thanks for the suggestion though 🙂

Message 4 of 11
barthbradley

Add Ref. Planes to the nested Model Text Family with a "Weak Reference" or higher Priority and then reload into Host.  You'll be able to Align and Lock and snap to these RPs in the Host.  

Message 5 of 11
Redrunner92
in reply to: barthbradley

The ref plane showed up. Regardless, switching between one line and more lines of text is making me need two instances of model text no matter how I approach it. The center of the model text changes and breaks parameter associations when going from one to more text lines. So Y/N parameters are still the way to go. See for yourself if you want.

Message 6 of 11
ToanDN

Nest it and you can constraint it just fine.  2022 file is attached (sorry I don't have Revit 2020).

ToanDN_0-1627593171912.png

ToanDN_1-1627593192876.png

ToanDN_2-1627593241827.png

Message 7 of 11
Redrunner92
in reply to: ToanDN

Right, the alignment works, but I still need one instance per number of lines of text.

Message 8 of 11
ToanDN

@Redrunner92 wrote:

Right, the alignment works, but I still need one instance per number of lines of text.

What do you mean?

Message 9 of 11
Redrunner92

When changing from one line of model text to two, the center of the text changes its position, and Revit treats this as a new center plane, not the model text moving up and the center plane staying in its same location. If you open the nested model text family in the file I uploaded most recently and change from one line of model text to two, you'll see what I mean. An error will pop up saying "Constraints are not satisfied." This means the relationship of the model text to the reference plane is being severed, and this severance carries into the host/parent family. So the align-and-lock of the nested model text to the center of the parent family's extrusion rectangle is no good anymore after reloading the nested family. Thus, I need to make one instance of model text for the single-line text and another instance for the two-line text.

Message 10 of 11
ToanDN

@Redrunner92 wrote:

When changing from one line of model text to two, the center of the text changes its position, and Revit treats this as a new center plane, not the model text moving up and the center plane staying in its same location. If you open the nested model text family in the file I uploaded most recently and change from one line of model text to two, you'll see what I mean. An error will pop up saying "Constraints are not satisfied." This means the relationship of the model text to the reference plane is being severed, and this severance carries into the host/parent family. So the align-and-lock of the nested model text to the center of the parent family's extrusion rectangle is no good anymore after reloading the nested family. Thus, I need to make one instance of model text for the single-line text and another instance for the two-line text.

Nope.  There is no such error with my file.

ToanDN_0-1627598663220.png

ToanDN_1-1627598696162.png

Message 11 of 11
Redrunner92
in reply to: ToanDN

You changed the formula and made the model text constrained to the top rather than the center--and didn't mention it. Sneaky.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report