Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model in Place Component - Editing the Structure

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
958 Views, 4 Replies

Model in Place Component - Editing the Structure

I wish to edit the structure of a model in-place component to replicate that of an exterior wall comprised of different layers i.e. Finish, Thermal/Air Layer, Structure, etc.

Is there a way to apply these layers to the construction of a model in-place component?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Redrunner92
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes: make an in-place component comprised of a series of Extrusions and/or Sweeps (and a Void in the case of air layers), each arranged in order (front of wall to back of wall), and you may want to align and lock them together as well to control their lengths and heights/depths.

You will not use a menu like you do to edit a wall system family, but you will still be able to have the various layers and edit them by pushing/pulling the layers (or the "master layer" will control them all if you align and lock them like I said above). In essence, you will graphically control the layers' dimensions (thickness, length and height/depth) rather than numerically controlling them in a menu.

Then you can assign different Materials to each Extrusion/Sweep. This will effectively give you an in-place wall element.

Message 3 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

Why not use System Family Walls?

Note: System Family Walls and Roofs can be applied to non-linear, non-planar surfaces. Also, System Family Walls can be shape-edited.    

Message 4 of 5
o.c.akgun
in reply to: barthbradley

Hello, Barth, I still have a problem, when I create the wall with the "model in-place" command I cannot add layers. When I make the wall with a system family wall I cannot change its shape on the plan view:/ I need it for historical buildings where the walls never ever go directly but create some strange shapes. 

Message 5 of 5
SteveKStafford
in reply to: o.c.akgun

If you are attempting to model irregularities in existing walls like a bulge, bend, bow or similar site conditions I'd recommend you ignore any of those that are not going to affect the scope of work you are documenting. A bulge or bow in a wall is not likely to impact most of the construction in the field except for finish contractors like millwork and fitting cabinetry for trim well. Only model such irregularities if they will impact something that will seriously affect the price for the scope of work. Obviously your mileage will vary...

Even modelling in place and extruding bulges and bows in a wall won't provide for a bulge that only occurs for part of the height of a wall, at least not without a lot more effort to represent it...and to what end? Will the client appreciate knowing the walls are weird?

It is not uncommon to model several wall layers as individual (single layer assigned to individual materials) walls so you can jog in and out more closely to the way the layers were built.

You can also use Revit's Parts concept to split out a compound wall into individual "parts" representing each layer of the compound wall, then push/pull individual layers... if that helps.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report