Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massing Editing Problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
4348 Views, 7 Replies

Massing Editing Problem

Hi

I have a project that was done on Autocad and I liked to redo it again on Revit. The attached files include the mass that I am facing some difficulties with 😕 after creating the mass I cannot edit the profiles of the upper lines to reach the actual design! I get "Unable to create form element: self-intersecting or singular geometry would result."

I tried to create each face (as a mass) alone, but I get a message says "Mass contains only mesh geometry, which can’t be used to compute Mass Floors, volume, or surface area." I ignored the message but it doesnot possible to add a roof because the surface is "broken" not smooth! The broken surface existed in every different try

Can this be done on Revit??

* in AutoCAD I did it using mesh modeling

I would appreciate it if you can help me with this!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same problem too.. I made a family mass, then I loaded into Project. When I want to make the mass floors I CAN'T because "it's only mesh" 

I model Everything on Revit... Any solutions?

Message 3 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

The first problem is not the same as the second problem. In the first one, the user needs just 1 surface to make a roof, which can be done with 3 parallel splines of 3 points each. Create form, and then modify the location of the points. Load into project and create Roof by face.

The second problem requires a volume, not a surface. Once you have a volume, you can insert it into the project that has levels, Select the mass, and create mass floors at the desired levels.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 8

I created a complicated surface but when I upload it into the project, this error appears "mass contains only mesh geometry which can't be used to compute mass floors, volume, or surface area" .. So I can't create a roof out of it .. I searched for the solution a lot and it seems that I have to convert it to 3D solid geometry so how can I convert it or how can I solve this problem with any other methods

Message 5 of 8

so, what is your problem?

Revit says you can not do all this because it is a Mesh ( a surface without thickness) not a Solid Form . But certainly you can make a Roof or Wall by Face.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

Unfortunately I cannot create roof by face because I cannot select the surface to complete this operation, I can only create wall by face with 10 CM thickness which is too thin for my project even though I wanted to create a roof

so my problem is creating a roof by face out of this mass, attachments would help

thank you for your time
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately I cannot create roof by face because I cannot select the surface to complete this operation, I can only create wall by face with 10 CM thickness which is too thin for my project even though I wanted to create a roof

so my problem is creating a roof by face out of this mass, attachments would help

thank you for your time

Message 8 of 8

From my observations:

•  The problem with Roof by Face consists in the fact that it accepts only Rafter Cuts>Plumb Cut option, and as a direct result of this , if you try to use this function for close to vertical (90 degrees) areas of the roof , the cut height will tend to infinite ...or a very large value, so you'll get an error.
  • on the other hand, Wall by Face is much more appropriate to be used for organic Forms because it can cover all vertical and steep areas of the Surface faces , except the horizontal ones (and I mean 0 degrees).
  • if there are still problems with Wall by Face thickness, then try to swap through Location Line placement.( I observed that, for instance Finish Face Exterior worked better for my type of surfaces).
  • Probably , if you have steep changes of direction on your surface then thicker walls will have problem even when placing Wall by Face. Maybe in this case using two Walls or more stacked one over another will work (and you will have a sort of Parts) . As an example use a Wall by Face with Location Line Interior + a Wall by Face with Location Line Exterior...
  • Yes , you will say but I need to be Roof Category, not Wall.....Then, create a new type of Wall , name it Roof* and use it.   When making Schedules , use Filter to show it apart from the other Walls.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report