Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass model into something useful..?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
will
262 Views, 3 Replies

Mass model into something useful..?

I've made a basic form using the mass modelling tool. I'm happy with it, however I'm struggling to make this into anything useful. I would ideally like to hollow the mass out by giving the faces a nominal depth/thickness of 300mm. This would allow me to start sub-dividing spaces to rough out layouts etc.

If I add walls/roofs/floors by face I end up with poor joins (missing corners etc) and the ever frustrating vague error messages, which I cannot rectify.

The only way I can currently see myself achieving this is to export the mass into something like sketch up and model it in there. I dont want to do this if I can avoid it.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: will

The method to do this is using by adding elements to the faces.  What poor joins do you get?  You should be able to fix these.  What vague error messages do you receive?

I cannot think that doing it in Sketchup will solve your troubles.

Message 3 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: will

Are we talking about Walls applied to Mass Faces? If so, it sounds like a Justification issue (i.e. Wall Centerline, Finish Face: Exterior , Core Face: Interior, etc.).  

Message 4 of 4
will
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for getting back to me. I've tried this by going to 'Massing and site' and the model by face tab.

I seem to get a lot of 'cant keep wall extended to wall' errors (example attached) and when completed I get join faults (attached).

I've tried adding a roof but it seems to cause more issues than if i use a wall for the roof.

In ACA there used to be tool for correcting these - I cant remember it exactly but it used to be something to do with the margin of error / accuracy of the software that you could change to correct difficult junctions. Does revit have the same facility?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report