Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking Region in a Section Head

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Pshupe
9840 Views, 20 Replies

Masking Region in a Section Head

I'm having an issue with getting a masking region inside a section head family.  The masking region seems to show up OK but does not rotate with the horizontal line to split the detail number and sheet number in the head.  It's funny because the Exterior elevation family worked perfectly.   Here is an image of the two families with the masking regions split into two half circles so that the center line between the masking regions is a visible line.  Please advise.

Capture.JPG

You can see the exterior elevation markers work fine and the up and down sections work OK as well.  It's just when the sideways sections rotate they do not take the mask with them.  Thank you in advance.

Regards Peter.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: Pshupe

Do not split the masking region into two. Draw one circle masking region and use text ________ to make the line.
Message 3 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: ToanDN

Well that seems a bit crazy!!  Why does this not work properly?  Frankly, it should be an option just like having transparent and opaque text styles.  Thanks for the crazy fix though.  Worked perfectly.  Hopefully the client doesn't figure out the fix! LOL

Cheers Peter.

Message 4 of 21
ToanDN

LOL this trick has been around for more than 10 years at least.
Message 5 of 21
JGuptill

I've had an issue in 2017 that some of the masking regions have been showing through. So I create an solid opague (white) filled region. Create a small (1/64") text and use underscore (______) as the divider line. Make sure the label text is set to opague as well. Sure, the symbol shows up as blue, but at least you can read the numbers and it plots fine. I haven't had any issues with this method whatsoever. Doesn't matter what level or placement of the section/callout head.

Message 6 of 21
kjskoog
in reply to: JGuptill

I tried this and I cannot get it to work. The line disappears every time I open a project file. I need to go into the section head family and move the line, undo and then reload and it will appear perfectly. Close the project file and open it again and I have to go through the same process with the family. Using 2017.2 I am attaching the family. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kory Skoog

CAD/BIM Manager

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 7 of 21
Sahay_R

....this frustration has been around for just as long - you have not been the first victim!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 21
JGuptill
in reply to: kjskoog

Here,

Try using the one I created and see if you still have the same problem. I found it helps to separate out the callout head into a different family. Maybe that was what was binding you up?

You can use the "Filled Head (2017)" for both general callouts and section heads.  

Message 9 of 21
ToanDN

Due to some revolutionary changes in Revit 2017, you need to create a Generic Annotation family and create the line as a Label, not Text, then load in in the Section Head symbol family.

Message 10 of 21
kjskoog

Exactly what I just did and it worked. Thank you everyone for your input. 

Kory Skoog

CAD/BIM Manager

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 11 of 21
shagen

I suggest drawing two masking regions, one for each half of the circle. In the family, rotate both of these masking regions by 90 degrees. It will look wrong in the family, but once loaded into the project, will appear correct.

See attached file.

Message 12 of 21
shagen
in reply to: shagen

Scratch that, the rotation doesn't work. Frustrating...

Message 13 of 21
JGuptill
in reply to: shagen

Hi Shagen,

I've found the best practice is to create a filled region and use an
underscore ________ (text) set to a small text size (1/32") as the divider
line.

The sheet and detail number are labels.
Message 14 of 21
shagen
in reply to: JGuptill

Hi Jeff, this worked for me. I adjusted the text size for the "___" so it was a thinner line in the label (to match the thickness of the line I was previously using). 

Good trick. Thanks!

Message 15 of 21
kechapman

UGH! Why, 5 years later (almost to the day) is this still an issue!!??

Message 16 of 21
Pshupe
in reply to: kechapman

Wait another 5yrs and we can do a 10yr anniversary.  There are too many other things like this to mention.  Either it is very hard to change or they just no not have to.  Very frustrating but "it is what it is".

Cheers Peter.

Message 17 of 21
kechapman
in reply to: kechapman

😡 Almost exactly another year and it's still not possible to put a masking region in a view callout!!! 😡
Message 18 of 21
jnavarroRRKVU

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but someone already asks this in 2008 and no one bothered. So let's celebrate the 15 anniversary.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/masking-region-in-section-head-family/m-p/24...

I can not believe this is mark as solution...

Message 19 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: jnavarroRRKVU

@jnavarroRRKVU wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but someone already asks this in 2008 and no one bothered. So let's celebrate the 15 anniversary.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/masking-region-in-section-head-family/m-p/24...

I can not believe this is mark as solution...

This was marked as the solution because it solved the underlying question, for OP and several other people.

Message 20 of 21
Pshupe

That's what it's all about! 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report