Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandatory Railing Improvements

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
arek_keshishian
579 Views, 7 Replies

Mandatory Railing Improvements

Railings are so poor and ignored in Revit. Here's what I suggest will make it better.

1.Ability to discontinue rails in the same path whenever needed, maybe make a pattern of them. This will also give way to easily achieve curved panels when needed. Same goes for Top Rail of course.
2.Have a curved baluster type or a railing panel family type that adapts to the radius and centre of arc of the railing paths.
3.Ability to select and unpin a baluster and move it where we want, change its type, or height and other parameters... This would be similar to the gridlines and mullions behaivor in curtain walls.
4.Ability to add a baluster wherever we want on the path and change the offset of some from it.
5.Ability to host them into a topography.
6.Last but, not least, and I can't stress this enough, please make balusters and panels show up in schedules and material take-offs. Specially when we have the ability to discontinue rails, we will need to count the parts as well. This is very important and there is no logical excuse about why this should not have been there already. We need to count both rail-parts and balusters and see how much of which materials we spend on them, along with other information like their length, height and everything else we can get.

Thank you for paying some attention to the railings by letting us host them onto more categories in version 2017. I think you already see that something should be done here. So please Autodesk, pimp my railings!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Pimp my railings is right!! Total agreement! I am amazed this is not higher in the "Gathering Support" list.
Message 3 of 8
Kimtaurus
in reply to: arek_keshishian

Another improvement for railings: more options for the handrail supports. We can never get them to position where we want them.

The "max/min distance" starts at the beginning of the handrail, not the rail, an ofsett function would be nice.

We need a system similar to baluster placement.

Seriously, this has gone on long enough. Panels need to be separated from Balusters. They're not the same thing.
Panels need to be dynamic (as noted above), they need to be able to fit to a smaller end. They need to be able to change shape when they hit a landing and return flat.

Balusters / posts need to extend to the Top Rail without issue.

Rails need to be constructed with relative spacing, not absolute spacing. I need them to be 4" apart, not 2'9.5" and and 3'1.5". This is just silly. Make a single rail repeatable with a set spacing, or top/bottom constraints. there's no need to place 10 different wire rails.

Message 5 of 8

.... additionally,

Top Rails are select-able by tabbing through. It's a sub element, so this makes sense. Please make the Panel also a sub element (in addition to separating it from the main baluster configuration window), so it can be tabbed through and queried.

and at what point is this going to progress from Gathering Support to "yeah, our bad, let's upgrade this mess"?

Message 6 of 8

And why are railing paths on stairs draw\n in 2D only - on any stair that has more than 2 flights, especially if they overlap each other, the railing paths make almost no sense.  It helps that you can now preview the railing in 3D as you edit, but it would help more if you could see, and edit, the path in 3D

Message 7 of 8

Please repost your ideas one at a time for voting and consideation

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 8 of 8

arek.keshishian and everyone that added follow-up ideas to this one... please, come back to this message after you have submitted your ideas individually and give us the link to your new idea on the Ideas site.  That way we can go vote the idea up.  Thank you. 

Ric

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report