Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing templates for many diferent clients

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
377 Views, 4 Replies

Managing templates for many diferent clients

Hello everyone,

I would like to understand / share tips on how to manage multiple templates from different clients with different requirements.

At the moment we have different templates, all originally based on the same (main) client. However, this ends up being an inconvenience in case of changes to be made for all customers or Dynamo Scripts developed for the company as a whole. At the moment, each client has a specific Template as they have their specific requirements that are usually different:

Filters

System Families

Schedules

Legends

Drafting Views

Materials

View Templates / View Types

(and of course, so are your loadable familes, but this seems to me the least of the problems)

Maybe the ideal (which we are still studying how to put into practice) would be to have an "empty" template (without loadable families) that would have each of the above items (bold) with the nomenclature starting with the client's code... But we are not really sure how it would go. Does anyone have a similar problem? what posture did they adopt?

Thank you for help and have a nice day 🙂

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
syman2000
in reply to: Anonymous

I would use one template as base and have different filter, legend, schedule and etc save as your client specific. If you want client specific item, you can simply do project transfer and it will copy over those setup into your current project file. I find this easier to manage than to create different template.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: syman2000

I agree that was my initial idea, but with many legends, view templates and etc. I am not sure of the weight and practicality that the template file could achieve

Message 4 of 5
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Anonymous

i started having one main template that has the fonts, lines and all kind of things that are the same in all projects.

Based on that I have tempaltes discipline-specific. that one has sheets, schedules and some rudiemtnary families (tags, some oftne used families) and other things specific for that discipline. for example, I have MEP design, but also standalone lighting designs, or architectural designs. thsoe all use the same type of lines, but have different sheet sets. 

a ot will depend on what is actually different between the projects you have. i cna imagine someone who for example only does ligjhting design only would need one template. 

Revit version: R2025.3
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

thank you for your answer, yeah, I think it is the best option but as there are many differences requirements for each clients my fear is it becomes a mess

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report