Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help to Convert Revit file (*.rfa) to AutoCAD dwg file.

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Ramp59
5254 Views, 18 Replies

Looking for help to Convert Revit file (*.rfa) to AutoCAD dwg file.

I would like to create a 3d file of a Delta faucet to use in a product drawing. I downloaded the file directly from Delta's website, but I have no way to convert it. Would there be any revit users out there that would be willing to convert this file to AutoCAD for me? I'd really appreciate the help! If there is anyone interested, please email me at tony.rampulla@schoolspecialty.com

Thank you!!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: Ramp59

Export to DWG not working? 

Wait a minute.  Are you saying you have a Revit Family but not Revit Software?  

Message 3 of 19
Ramp59
in reply to: barthbradley

I only use Vanilla AutoCAD, version 2020.

Message 4 of 19
barthbradley

Post the RFA

Message 5 of 19
Ramp59

File is attached. Thank you!

Message 6 of 19
barthbradley

this work?

Message 7 of 19
Ramp59

I really appreciate your help, but I can't get it to display properly when I do a hide command. I tried exploding the block, but it comes thru as polyface meshes, which I have no clue how to work with.

Message 8 of 19
barthbradley

What are you looking for?  

Message 9 of 19
Ramp59

I guess I expected it to display like a regular solid object that I draw. Everything I draw is in the 2D Wireframe visual style, and then I use the hide command to make it appear "solid". I've attached a PDF that shows how this is displaying. Parts of it appear to be missing, even though I know it's there. This only appears to be an issue using the wireframe  or hidden visual styles. If I change to something other than those, I can see the entire faucet. Maybe this is a limitation of my skills? I do very little in 3D, so what I know has pretty much been self taught. Maybe there is command or setting that I just don't know about? I really do appreciate your help!

Message 10 of 19
Ramp59

Here's a snip of the faucet display in regular viewing mode, no hide command. You can see how most of it is not displaying.

Message 11 of 19
Ramp59

Thank you so much for your help! I think I found a solution which was to convert everything to a mesh object. After doing this the entire faucet displays in wireframe visual styles. I can't thank you enough for converting this for me! I really, really appreciate it!

Message 12 of 19
barthbradley

Your welcome. Make sure to mark my post as the Accepted Solution.  

Message 13 of 19
syman2000

Really depends what export it uses. I've export the Revit to CAD as 3d SOLID rather than polymesh. When you open in AutoCAD, use the DISPSILH and set it to 0. You will get hidden line like you see below.

3d cad.png

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 14 of 19
syman2000
in reply to: syman2000

3d solid.png

Message 15 of 19
Ramp59
in reply to: syman2000

WOW! Thank you as well! This works even better as it comes in at the proper scale and doesn't have so many tessellation lines. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Message 16 of 19
barthbradley

@Ramp59: Did you pull my Solution Credit, or is it a Forum glitch that it is not shown?  

Message 17 of 19
Ramp59

I marked your reply with your attachment as "Accepted Solution". I don't even know how to pull that back. Maybe when I accepted the other response it kicks yours out? I wanted to mark them both as accepted, because I was able to use both.

Message 18 of 19
barthbradley

Thanks for responding, @Ramp59.

The forum has been very glitchy lately.  

Have a good day. 😊 

Message 19 of 19
syman2000

Yea I am also having the same issue. I was about to add additional image and then the edit reply locked up. So I have to resort to reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report