Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logo quality in title block degrades when produce pdf

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
jdicker85
3684 Views, 20 Replies

Logo quality in title block degrades when produce pdf

Hi,

I've noticed a problem over several years in relation to high quality picture files of logos with super clear edges and then I import it into my title block to use for jobs for various builders.  The problem is that the logo degrades a lot when I print it to pdf and gives a very unprofessional result with blurry or jagged edges to the logo or logo writing. 

I use adobe acrobat for pdf printing and the logos are high resolution in either gif, png, or jpg format and the format doesn't seem to matter.

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this or the best way to have logos in the title block?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Labels (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: jdicker85

@jdicker85 wrote:

Hi,

I've noticed a problem over several years in relation to high quality picture files of logos with super clear edges and then I import it into my title block to use for jobs for various builders.  The problem is that the logo degrades a lot when I print it to pdf and gives a very unprofessional result with blurry or jagged edges to the logo or logo writing. 

I use adobe acrobat for pdf printing and the logos are high resolution in either gif, png, or jpg format and the format doesn't seem to matter.

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this or the best way to have logos in the title block?

Thanks,

Jeremy

What Revit version?  Insert PDF instead of JPG.

Message 3 of 21
barthbradley

That's pretty bad.  I wonder if is not something else going on here.  Post the Image File and the Titleblock RFA.  

Message 4 of 21
jdicker85
in reply to: barthbradley

Please see attached title block rfa.  and the original image file.

Its weird as it doesn't seem to matter what image file or version of revit in the past so I thought maybe I'm loading it in wrong or something.

Message 5 of 21
jdicker85
in reply to: ToanDN

My version is REVIT LT 2021.1.2

In your experience is do you use a pdf of the logo to import into the title block?

Message 6 of 21
ToanDN

Prior to 2020 I use a PNG, not JPG. Since 2020, I import PDF because it Revit let me adjust DPI of PDF when imported from 72 to 600. For logos which are generally small, I choose 300 or even 600 depends on the detail of the logos 

Message 7 of 21
jdicker85

It doesn't give me the option to choose pdf files under the import image option so I don't see how I can use a pdf logo.
Message 8 of 21
jdicker85

Thankyou, the logo I post here and tried is a PNG. How do I import a pdf into the rfa to use as a logo? I don't get that option when trying to import an image.
Message 9 of 21
ToanDN

Sorry I realized Revit LT can't import PDF.  I will take a look at your logo in Revit 2019, I don't have 2021.

Message 10 of 21
barthbradley

Would you consider white non-transparent background JPG? 

Message 11 of 21
jdicker85

Thankyou , I tried the non transparent jpg version and its still degraded but just degraded differently.

Message 12 of 21
jdicker85

In Revit it looks fine, the  problem seems to be when it gets turn to a pdf.   I guess the fault could be the pdf printer rather than revit.

See view of title block zoomed in and snipped within revit.

Message 13 of 21
ToanDN

Try this. It is a modified PNG, still with transparency.

Use the Revit LT Export to PDF give better result out of the box.  If you choose print to PDF, edit the PDF printer preference and increase raster output DPI.

Attached are a PDF exported from Revit 2022 and a PDF printed to AdobePDF with High Quality settings.

Message 14 of 21
barthbradley

@jdicker85 wrote:

In Revit it looks fine, the  problem seems to be when it gets turn to a pdf.   I guess the fault could be the pdf printer rather than revit.

See view of title block zoomed in and snipped within revit.

I don't get any distortion on my end. Hardcopy or PDF. Looks good in that screenshot too. Not sure what you see that I don't. But your original with the transparency background was FUBAR.  

Can you Import PDF. Got one of those too, but I pulled it because I thought you said you couldn't use PDF with LT. 

Message 15 of 21
jdicker85

Thankyou for your help!   Do you get any distortion printing a pdf  via acrobat or whatever program you use from Revit if you do it that way?

I have attached a snip I've done of the original logo on the left, then the degradation of the other 2 from printing via pdf.  The middle was the non transparent jpg and the right side was the transparent png.  so this should show an easy comparison to how much worse it gets for me.

In my Revit LT 2021 I can't import pdf picture files and I also can't export to pdf.  Maybe if I update to 2022 there's increased functionality for those things there.

Message 16 of 21
jdicker85

I tried your modified png and it ended up the same as the middle image in the comparison screenshot I posted. thanks
Message 17 of 21
barthbradley

That middle one is the one I sent printed from Revit? Looks good to me. For a vector software that is.  Probably looks better on a sheet too. Not zoomed in so tight.  What's the sheet dimensions of the logo?  2"x 1 1/2" or so with Image scaled 0.065?  

Message 18 of 21
ToanDN

@jdicker85 wrote:
I tried your modified png and it ended up the same as the middle image in the comparison screenshot I posted. thanks

You need to edit the PDF printer and increase the quality.  Look at the PDF I attached below and compare the quality to yours.

ToanDN_0-1654063987255.png

ToanDN_0-1654064073564.png

Message 19 of 21
jdicker85

Oh my god, why did I not realise there was an easy setting for this earlier!

thankyou so much.  It is much better with that simple change.  This is what I needed to do 5 years ago lol.

Message 20 of 21
MARKOL2706

Is it normal for the document to take over an hour to create the PDF when printing to Adobe PDF? I tried to print 8 sheets in this manner, legal size, and it is taking over an hour so far. Saving as Microsoft PDF takes less than 10 seconds. But I'm getting the distorted logo issue. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report