Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking IFC into Revit - Why does Revit create a RVT of the linked file?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1269 Views, 3 Replies

Linking IFC into Revit - Why does Revit create a RVT of the linked file?

Hello

I dont understand fully why Revit creates a seperate rvt file for every IFC i link into my Project.

Forumquestion.jpg

Whats the reason for it? Whats the prupose of those .rvt files? Can someone help me.

I dont find enough information about this topic.

Thanks for your help

kind regards

david

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
aleksei.tkachenko
in reply to: Anonymous

That's just a way how Revit links IFC. It opens IFC in a new rvt file and then links this file, not ifc itself, with the model.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: aleksei.tkachenko

Thank you for the Answer.

So its basically this way:

Revit creates a RVT copy of the linked IFC which is connected to the Revitproject. That means i can open those Revit copies and change (delete elemens etc.) things, without changing the original IFC. When i reload the IFC i will loose my previous changes.

I can also bind the "IFC" into my Revitproject which gives me the same functionality like i would directly import an IFC.

Message 4 of 4
MichaelWolff
in reply to: Anonymous

If this is just "a" way how Revit links IFC files, I would like to use the other way. Revit has no problems writing back information on placement into DWG files either. For DWG the container 'method' might be an idea.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report