Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting Families and Lights are Shaded unnecessarially

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lee.imbimbo86EM4
380 Views, 3 Replies

Lighting Families and Lights are Shaded unnecessarially

I'm running into this problem with my lighting family not rendering correctly.  In this case this is just a basic wall sconce.  I modelled it based on the HINKLEY SHELTER 1326 model light.

LINK: https://www.hinkley.com/1326kz-ll.html

Even though the light source is inside a transperant glass shroud it doesn't render like a light source inside a piece of glass.  I've had this before, and the only solution I've come up with is to actually place the light source outside the fixture, and then apply a fake material to the glass to have it render as illuminated.  This worked before because the fixtures I've modeled before were spots and the light was pointed as a wall.  But in these wall sconces I'm not getting the lighting profile I expect.

Can one of you guys look at this model and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I've attached pictures of the shaded model and how it renders to illustrate the problem I'm having.

Front Entry Lighting - Shaded Model.PNG

Front Entry Lighting - Artificial Only.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Anyone have any ideas?
Message 3 of 4

I don't see an issue with the family you posted.  Am I missing something? 

Light324-1.pngLight324-2.png 

BTW: moving the light source away from the fixture geometry is something we do as well - however, I didn't need to do that here. 

....you're not by chance talking about how the light washes the wall; are you? 

Light324-3.png

if tilt angle parameter tilts light on wrong axis, then change the axis of rotation of the Light Source in Family.   In other words, go to Elevation and rotate it 90-degrees.  

Message 4 of 4

Thanks, I honestly didn't think this would effect it because the EIS file generated a general sphere not a spot cone shape.

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators