Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jim
Explorer
453 Views, 12 Replies

Licensing

Every night my Revit and Autodesk license resets at my home office.  I have a one-year subscription.  A year ago, I didn't have internet in my home office because of my rural location and that couldn't be tolerated, and I had to have a fix for it from Autodesk before.  Now I have fiber-optic internet, so I tolerate it.  But I have been camping this summer including this weekend at places without internet and/ or good enough cell service to use my cellular internet.   The license resets and I have to go to a location with Wi-Fi to reset it if I want to work on my computer programs I pay for!    There is no internet where my computer is, so these licenses must reset every 24 hours!  This is absurd.   I had to walk to the camp store to fix this!  Luckily it wasn't far.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jim

is this a question or a rant?

Message 3 of 13
HVAC-Novice

I'd just focus on camping while camping......fishing, kayaking, hiking, riding.... all much better activities than Revit IMHO. 

Working on a laptop screen is a pain to begin with. Cellular internet in the boonies isn't great for any type of modern work. 

Revit isn't a software suitable for mobile application, it is just too large. 

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 4 of 13
jim
Explorer
in reply to: Anonymous

A little of both.  I pay for Revit and AutoCAD for a yearly subscription, and it shouldn't be reset every day, and I should be able to use the program.  I am dealing with the same thing this morning again at the campground.  This is not a camping only issue though, I work at project sites where I also can't get internet and can't get good enough cellular service.  My office only had internet in the last 11 months.  Sorry but the license should not be reset daily.   It also resets every day at my home office, and I have to save drawings, shut it down and then relog back in if I leave a drawing open overnight.   As an Architect and Intern/ Student previous to that, I have been using AutoCAD for 28 years and Revit for 12 plus years.  I have also been a college instructor mostly for AutoCAD for 12 years.   If there is a work around or update that would be great. 

Message 5 of 13
jim
Explorer

I also will still be camping through tomorrow and I only can fix this at the camp office or check my email there on wifi as my cell phone doesn't load anywhere else.

Message 6 of 13
jim
Explorer
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I understand, I would love to just focus on nature and camping.  But I own my own business and some work needs to get completed.  I have the same problem with AutoCAD.   There are no problems with using Revit or AutoCAD on my laptop for the mostly small and some medium sized projects I work on.  I have worked at home and remotely for 12 years plus on my laptop on these programs.  I just plug it into the larger monitor when I am at my desk at home.  My surface studio laptop works great!  And there is not wifi everywhere, and when you pay for software, you should be able to use it without it resetting daily is my main point here.

Message 7 of 13
jim
Explorer

And before I had wifi at home or am on a jobsite without wifi I can usually use cellular wifi without a problem on an as needed basis to connect everything as long as at&t has a decent signal.  That usually seems to be the bigger issue with that, the signal.

Message 8 of 13
HVAC-Novice

Being logged in is their way to confirm it is you using it. On the upside, you can log in form different computers (not at the same time, of course) without the cumbersome transfer of licenses like in the old days. 

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but all software seems to go the way of having to be signed in. Being in nature, and working on a complex software is an edge case. They are very unlikely to accommodate that.

It sure is less hassle than the old network licenses. As long as you have internet.... 

You could add a request to the ideas forum

Revit version: R2024.2.1
Message 9 of 13
Prvoime

With so many issues, just pirate it. You already paid for it, who cares.

Message 10 of 13
jim
Explorer
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I can download my files to my computer for other programs and use them, so this is an Autodesk specific licensing problem.   I specifically pull stuff out of the cloud to work on it and I should be able to do that anywhere if I pay for the software. It's not just nature, it's anywhere without internet access.  Your office, a jobsite, a restaurant etc.  It's not just Revit, it's AutoCAD, and AutoCAD is not complex software.  I use AutoCAD for 2D drafting and have the same problem.  There was a previous fix I got from Autodesk for this when I didn't have internet in my office.  I don't remember what version AutoCAD/ Revit that was.  I know it really seems to be an issue I have seen with the 2024 version.  I am back at my home office with internet so I will tolerate the signing in every day.  Until I am somewhere again and can't access my work.

Message 11 of 13
jim
Explorer
in reply to: Prvoime

Pirating the software is part the problem that has caused these ridiculous requirements for license verification.  I have always stayed away from that and none of my former employers would let me take AutoCAD or Revit out of the office so when I started my business, I didn't even have a hard copy.   Now you can't purchase a hard copy of the software.  When I started my business there wasn't even a subscription option, and I couldn't afford the software outright, so I rented it.  If I would have purchased it, I would be like my old offices with old versions of software rarely updated.  So, there are good and bad things with the subscription.

Message 12 of 13
Simon_Weel

Every night my Revit and Autodesk license resets at my home office.

Reading this article, it shouldn't do that? Not much help though. I'd create a service request.

Edit: this article provides a bit more info - most useful suggestion IMO is to disable the network adapter.

Message 13 of 13
mhiserZFHXS

"Always online" is an issue with a lot of software these days, just like the ridiculous switch to subscription only access. I understand why they did it. They want to maximize profits. Its the capitalist way. But in trying to prevent a small amount of users from cheating the system, they've made life harder for the rest of us.

As with the switch to subscription based access, the only thing that will at least give some relief to this issue would be government regulation, because corporations are never going to put customer satisfaction above profits. Especially a company that essentially has a monopoly on the market like Autodesk does.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators