Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for Revit and AutoCAD

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
17995 Views, 16 Replies

Laptop for Revit and AutoCAD

Hi, 

I have a question regardin laptops suitable for autodesk products, first and foremost för Revit and AutoCAD. 

I am looking for a new laptop for my girlfriend, who is a student and needs to be able to run Revit and AutoCAD smoothly. 

I have found 2 laptops that I think might be good for the intended use, and would like to get the communitys input on which one I should opt on. 

Dell inspiron 15 7000 

8th gen Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU (8 MB cache, up to 4,0 GHz)

8 GB RAM DDR4 2 400 MHz 

512 GB SSD

Windows 10 64-bit

NVidia GeForce 940 MX 4 GB GDDR5

Dell inspiron 15 7577

7th gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ, 4 cores (6 MB cache, up to 3,8 GHz)

16 GB DDR4  2 400 MHz RAM 

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5

Windows 10 64-bit

1 TB harddrive

The 7577 seems better, but costs about 300 dollars more than the 7000. 

Is it worth the extra money? (We are on a budget, since she is a student). 

Thank you in advance! 

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dzanta
in reply to: Anonymous

See below:

Dell inspiron 15 7000 

8th gen Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU (8 MB cache, up to 4,0 GHz)..........THIS IS FINE

8 GB RAM DDR4 2 400 MHz ..........GO WITH 16GB AT LEAST

512 GB SSD..........THIS IS FINE (TRY TO GET THE SAMSUNG 850/860 PCI M.2 CARD)

Windows 10 64-bit..........THIS IS FINE

NVidia GeForce 940 MX 4 GB GDDR5......CHECK GRAPHICS CARD FOR REVIT/AUTOCAD 2018 COMPATIBILITY...TRY NVIDIA QUADRO P2000)

Dell inspiron 15 7577

7th gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ, 4 cores (6 MB cache, up to 3,8 GHz)..........THIS IS FINE

16 GB DDR4  2 400 MHz RAM ..........THIS IS FINE

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GDDR5......CHECK GRAPHICS CARD FOR REVIT/AUTOCAD 2018 COMPATIBILITY...TRY NVIDIA QUADRO P2000)

Windows 10 64-bit..........THIS IS FINE

1 TB harddrive..........THIS IS FINE

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: dzanta

Thank you! 

Mainly I am a bit worried about the graphics card. The ones listed above arent om the certified/recomended list on autodesk, but I have seen them as viable options on other forums. 

Does anyone have any experience with those particular GPUs? 

GeForce 940 MX och GeForce 1050 Ti? 

Message 4 of 17
dzanta

I run the GTX 960M on my DELL XPS....it has minor hiccups running Revit but runs AutoCAD fine.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 5 of 17
dgorsman

"Not certified" is not the same as "won't work".  They only test the workstation cards.

I'd recommend the second one for a few reasons.  8 GB isn't enough for anything other than web surfing these days, let alone technical design software.  You'll want the newer model graphics card as it supports the newer features in the latest releases.  They are also far more power efficient.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 17
cc4535

The Ti is a workhorse GPU, in my opinion, the only way to go with the two options you have.

Chuck Conley
M3 Engineering
Message 7 of 17
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk community.Smiley Happy

See this thread which discusses options for your query.

If you find posts have solved your problem, please click on 'Accept as solution' to help others with similar questions.

Thank you,

Message 8 of 17

HI EVERYONE! please i am looking for a computer that supports construction software with ease. Revit, Autocad, revit plugins, all Adobe suire (photoshop, indesign, ..... )    Would this be ok?  the issue im having is i cant find a computer this good , in a smaller size..... I was more in the need of 11 inches  or 13 the most. 

thank you all!!! 

• Precision 5520
  • Intel Core i7-7820HQ
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
  • 16GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 1 DIMMS
  • Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5

Message 9 of 17

sorry it is a DELL computer ..... model: precision. 

Message 10 of 17

Hi @ARQ-CAMILA.PORTEIRO

As the first step, please see the system requirements and recommendations for the Revit product line. A list of certified cards can be found on the Autodesk Certified Hardware page.

Regards,

Message 11 of 17
easyrecipes44
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hello Friends! I am love to play games and recently I bought a Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to use for this purpose now I am looking for a laptop that can help for Revit and AutoCAD software, I was taking a look at this Best Laptop for Heavy Applications - Lenovo ThinkPad P52 15.6" inch screen from this, But it is a little bit expensive. Any clue?

Appreciate your help!

Message 12 of 17
jbowlesE4C6Z

Curious if you ran the Revit RFO Benchmark and what the results were on the Dell Inspiron

https://www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/35955-rfo-benchmark-v3-x.html#post191932

Message 13 of 17
jbowlesE4C6Z

Dzan,

Have you run the RFO Benchmark tests on your XPS 15?   I'm curious what the results were. 

https://www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/35955-rfo-benchmark-v3-x.html

Message 14 of 17
dzanta
in reply to: jbowlesE4C6Z

sorry....I have not ran that benchmark.  The system is currently about 4 years old now I think...

If you want me to run it, let me know and I will post the results.

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
hamza.rehman441240

Hey guys, could someone point me towards a benchmark/analysis is i7 9700k processor would be better for Revit 3d? Also, suggest me compatible motherboard. Because I'm looking to building a machine to work on large-scale PV projects on it, any help would be great, thanks in advance!

We Will also be using regular AutoCAD on it

Message 16 of 17

Why are you building a workstation on a two generations old CPU architecture? I would recommend using the newest one.

You can read this recent article:

https://aecmag.com/workstations/11th-gen-intel-core-vs-amd-ryzen-5000-for-cad-bim-beyond/

Tom

Message 17 of 17
richardsasser

DO NOT BUY an HP ZBook - with the following configuration: Intel Core i7-9850H, 64 GB RAM 1 TB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Windows 10 Pro, 15.6 Inch Screen

FREEZES and CRASHES !! Terrible choice for Autocad 2022 and Revit 2022. Avoid !!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report