Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Multiple Hip Roofs and Attaching Interior Walls

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1058 Views, 4 Replies

Joining Multiple Hip Roofs and Attaching Interior Walls

This is my first time creating a forum post; normally I'm able to find solutions to my Revit problems by reviewing the posts of others, but no such luck this time.

I'm working on a project in a jurisdiction that has fairly strict style guidelines, especially when it comes to roofs. Buildings are very low scale, have hipped roofs, and are bunched together. As you can see in the attached AXON image, I'm specifically working on three small buildings with attached hip roofs, which obviously create prominent valleys between them. I haven't figured out a good way to create this form as a single roof, so I've instead created six individual roofs (three for the main hips and three for the porches), all by footprint and joined together. This looks reasonably alright from the outside, but presents a problem on the interior. Looking at the attached SECTION image, I'm stuck with either overlapping roof overhangs on the inside, or, if I use the Vertical Opening tool to "slice" off these overhangs, with walls that won't attach to the underside of these valleys. So I guess I have two questions:

1.) Is there a more effective way to create and/or join this roof structure?

2.) Is there a way to attach interior walls to two roofs where they meet in a valley?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dzanta
in reply to: Anonymous

Use the Join Roof command to join the three roofs together....this will get rid of the overlapping roof ends

Walls attach to 1 host object at a time such as a roof above.  You may need to use Edit Profile to sketch the wall

Alternately:

Try to create the three roofs as a single roof within a single sketch.  This is the typical method for creating these types of roofs

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dzanta

Thanks. Is there a good way to create these as one roof? I haven't found a way to create a Roof by Footprint that would allow me to alter slopes on the interior of the roof at the valleys. My understanding is that you can only dictate the slope of the roof from the eaves, sloping upwards.

Message 4 of 5
dzanta

it looks like the Roof by Footprint command has some limitations to creating the roof you want.

create this roof as 3 separate roofs

then use Vertical opening command for each roof

see sample file attached

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 5 of 5
barthbradley

It looks like you have already modeled then as 3 separate roofs, and that only the sketch boundaries needs to be changed to eliminate the overhangs in the middle.  Then join them all.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators