Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join Roof not working

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Revitician
9767 Views, 13 Replies

Join Roof not working

Hi all. I have created two roofs by extrusion. I want to extend one of them to intersect with the other using the tool Modify/ Geometry/ Join Roof.

When asked to select an edge I cannot pick up the ridge of th emain roof and I am blocked at this stage.

I attach files. Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dzanta
in reply to: Revitician

your approach to creating these roofs isn't proper.

Please see the attached revit files.

See the following screencasts for learning how to make roofs:

Roof by Face:

http://autode.sk/1JHKvnR

Roof by Extrusion:

http://autode.sk/1HzmiO7

Roof by Face:

http://autode.sk/1Rarv3r

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 14
josemukalel

Jose George
Architectural BIM/CAD Technician
josemukalel@gmail.com
+64 22513 0828
A KUDO is always welcomed; However, WHEN the above answer helps and/or clarifies your query; kindly mark it with ACCEPT AS SOLUTION
Message 4 of 14
Revitician
in reply to: josemukalel

@josemukalel

Many thanks for you rsolution, I saw you had to reduce the height of the roof firstly and then put it back I guess Revit did not detect it at the very begining, what was the problem?

Thanks

Message 5 of 14
RDAOU

Hello @Revitician

Answer is No it is not the height...Although the upper limit (Ridge) of the Main roof is a constraint, but Revit will still allow you to join the secondary roof and Revit will cut anything that extends beyond it.

The problem is your lower constraint. You have made the Fascia of the Main Roof Zero (0mm) which made it horizontal. The Small roof (when using the Join Roof tool) is constrained by the lower edge of the fascia. Anything below that can not be joined.

The Join Roof Tool is meant to join smaller roofs (such as Dormers and Awnings) to the bigger (main) roof. Hence, it is and should be constrained within those limits (bottom of Fascia and Ridge).

See Screencast below for further details:

As @dzanta said... what you did is not the best practice in creating similar roofs to what you are modeling. If you want to learn proper Revit you need, not just to watch more of those tutorials, but also to understand how each tool functions and why it function as such.

Some of the members on this forum can give you awesome breath taking screencasts which makes everything in Revit easy...however, such screencast do not address the proper workflow.

Should you find this reply helpful in resolving the above issue; kindly mark it as Accept as Solution

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 6 of 14
p.m
Participant
in reply to: RDAOU

Hello: This does not answer the question.

The question is HOW TO JOIN A ROOF CREATED BY EXTRUSION.

The 'proper' way to create a roof does not give the profile of the roof I want.

I want a roof where the top and bottom surface are NOT PARALLEL,

SO THE WHOLE ROOF IS THINNER AT THE RIDGE AND WIDER AT THE OVERHANGING END.

If the join/unjoin command does not work for this kind of roof, what would?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
jseltzer
in reply to: p.m

I assume his was never answered. 

such a simple thing is such a pain in the ass for no reason

Message 8 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: jseltzer

@jseltzer wrote:

I assume his was never answered. 

such a simple thing is such a pain in the ass for no reason

@p.m wrote:

Hello: This does not answer the question.

The question is HOW TO JOIN A ROOF CREATED BY EXTRUSION.

The 'proper' way to create a roof does not give the profile of the roof I want.

I want a roof where the top and bottom surface are NOT PARALLEL,

SO THE WHOLE ROOF IS THINNER AT THE RIDGE AND WIDER AT THE OVERHANGING END.

If the join/unjoin command does not work for this kind of roof, what would?

Thanks!

Like this?

ToanDN_0-1657055272436.png

ToanDN_0-1657055426360.png

Message 9 of 14
jseltzer

WHEN THE FACE OF THE ADDED ROOF COMES PAST THE EDGE OF THE MAIN ROOF, I GET AN ERROR, VERY ANNOYING

Message 10 of 14
ToanDN

@jseltzer wrote:

WHEN THE FACE OF THE ADDED ROOF COMES PAST THE EDGE OF THE MAIN ROOF, I GET AN ERROR, VERY ANNOYING

Because you cannot extend a roof edge to nothing.  There are plenty of workarounds but it appears you are only interested in complaining instead of leaning how to solve problems.

ToanDN_0-1657057663544.png

Message 11 of 14
jseltzer
in reply to: ToanDN

yes, you are right, I'm only interested in complaining.  why are so many people on a platform where people are supposed to be helpful such pompous jerks?

you think you are all high and mighty yet don't stop to think that maybe for a second someone else may have tried multiple ways of trying something, spent time researching why something so simple doesn't work.

for anyone who isn't like this last clown, here is an image of my roof, i tried it a couple different ways and still get errors. i tried Roof by Footprint, Roof by Extension.  By Extension you can make sure the top and bottom align with the top of the roof, but when you do it by footprint, you can't snap to the ridge of the roof, it can only stretch and it's not exact.

this is a simple thing that shouldn't require a "workaround" and it gets people frustrated. that was my original point 

Screenshot 2022-07-06 085914.jpg

Message 12 of 14
dzanta

Another possible tool to use to achieve your desired result is to use the Vertical Opening command on the custom roof.  Create your custom roof so that it extends past/into the main roof.  Then, use the Vertical Opening command on the smaller roof to remove the portion of the roof you don't want to see.  You can also then use the Opening by Face command on the main roof where the smaller roof intersects with the main roof to create the opening should this roof attic space need to be accessible.  This method is somewhat similar to using the Dormer Opening command but in your case, you don't have a dormer.

Should you need further help, send me the Revit model (which version?) and I will see what I can do for you as a solution.  Thanks.

Dzan

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 13 of 14
jseltzer
in reply to: dzanta

thank you very much for such a thoughtful response. ill give those things a try and let you know if it worked. appreciate your help!
Message 14 of 14
dzanta

no worries....just want to make sure you have a viable solution for your issue.  Look forward to a good solution...

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report