Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join Mullions in Curtain Wall

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
vitaliy0001
3076 Views, 13 Replies

Join Mullions in Curtain Wall

I have a simple vertical curtain wall.  Mullions are the only structural members.

I also have a horizontal Curtain System for skylights coming into the top of this curtain wall - the mullions of both systems are all aligned.  The mullions are in the form of an upside down 'L'.

Where they intersect at 90 degrees, I want to join the mullions to not have ugly lines in section views.  However the join tool doesn't recognise the mullions at all - I can't select them to join them when it is active.

What is the correct procedure to accomplish what I want?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: vitaliy0001

Message 3 of 14
RDAOU

@vitaliy0001 

In case using the system L Corner does not work for the situation Wall/Skylight which you have...You will need to do the following:

1. create a Custom Mullion
    • first create a profile using the Profile - Mullion template
    • Load into the project
    • In project browser scroll to Curtain Mullion
    • Right click "Rectangular Mullion" and create a new type - Custom L Corner
    • Right click the new type and Go to Type Properties
    • Replace the Profile with the one you created in 1.a and Apply
  2. the replace the top horizontal  border of the wall  & remove the border of the skylight as shown in below GIF

Custom mullion.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 14
ToanDN

@vitaliy0001 wrote:

I have a simple vertical curtain wall.  Mullions are the only structural members.

I also have a horizontal Curtain System for skylights coming into the top of this curtain wall - the mullions of both systems are all aligned.  The mullions are in the form of an upside down 'L'.

Where they intersect at 90 degrees, I want to join the mullions to not have ugly lines in section views.  However the join tool doesn't recognise the mullions at all - I can't select them to join them when it is active.

What is the correct procedure to accomplish what I want?

You could create the L mullions using:

- structural framing (image)

- in-place sweeps

- adaptive family

ToanDN_0-1628812354305.png

Message 5 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

Is this what we're talking about?

CWS812.png

Curtain Wall Systems.  

Message 6 of 14
vitaliy0001
in reply to: ToanDN

This is exactly what I wanted to achieve. Is there any other semi-automated way of doing this in curtain wall settings?
Message 7 of 14
vitaliy0001

So are you suggesting curtain systems for both vertical and horizontal surfaces will result in joined mullions?
Message 8 of 14
ToanDN

Try model them as a sloped glazing by extrusion, or a curtain system by face, instead of a vertical curtain wall and a horizontal sloped glazing.

Message 9 of 14
barthbradley

@vitaliy0001 wrote:
So are you suggesting curtain systems for both vertical and horizontal surfaces will result in joined mullions?

Yes. Easy, breezy too.  No fuss. No muss.  

Create a Curtain System from a Mass | Revit Products | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Message 10 of 14
vitaliy0001

Thanks.  This worked for joining the mullion joins.

Now, I have another question - how can I make the top glass panel extend across over the vertical panel, instead of having a gap as per the screenshot?image.png

Message 11 of 14
barthbradley

@vitaliy0001 wrote:

Now, I have another question - how can I make the top glass panel extend across over the vertical panel, instead of having a gap as per the screenshot?

Do you mean like this?

CWS814-1.pngCWS814-2.png

One approach would be to use an L Corner Mullion as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

CWS814-3.png 

***Note "Thickness", "Leg 1" and "Leg 2" and "Material" values in L Corner Mullion Type Properties.  

Message 12 of 14
vitaliy0001

Not really the effect I wanted - the glass should simply overlap without any mullions there.

The only way I can see is to unlock the panel and manually edit each one which takes hours, but has the required result. This is really difficult, because as soon as you make it manually, it dissociates from the plane and you have to re-position it.
Message 13 of 14
RDAOU

@vitaliy0001 

Curtain walls and curtain systems sometimes require a little bit of extra effort in order to get the desired outcome. The join between panels is easy and doesn't need to be as tedious as you described but it also depends on how you model the system/element...

If I would be using a curtain system, I would use a custom panel at the join between the vertical wall and the roof which would give the below result (see GIF)

curtain system 1.gif

RDAOU_0-1629198002332.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 14 of 14
vitaliy0001
in reply to: RDAOU

Thank you very much. This is a great solution. Much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report