Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to crop imported images?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
125856 Views, 16 Replies

Is there a way to crop imported images?

Hello everyone! 

I'm developing a project in Revit and need to import some jpeg images to use as references, but I need to crop them, in order to place them in my sheets. Does anybody know a way to do it in Revit, or will I need to crop them in an external aplication like Photoshop?

Thank you very much!

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use :

1. if from Insert Image (for Plan Views) , use a Mask: Annotate > Detail > Region > Masking Region ( or a solid white Filled Region) with Invisible Lines as borders
  2. if you use Decal ( for 3d renderings), then the borders of the face of the object on which the Decal is applied will crop the Decal..

1. with Mask..

Image 2.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Not sure if this will be any help at this point, but this is what I do.

1.) Right click on a level and duplicate.

2.) Rename level to the name of the image.

3.) Import image on that level.

4.) Turn on the show crop region.

5.) Crop around the image how you need it.

6.) Open the sheet you would like the image to be located.

7.) Drag the name of the level that represents the image to the location on the sheet.

8.) Then activate the view for the image.

9.) Adjust the size of the image by changing the scale to fit the image.

This will create the image as well at the title for the image.  The only issue is that the title has a scale that is associated with the viewport.  If you did not want the title then drag the title way off of sheet so that it will not show up on the export/print.  

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you! Good idea, but there is a better way to hide the scale if you wish to keep the title of the image. You can edit the title family and delete or add a parameter to hide the scale label
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

If you don't have enough knowledge about cropping software or tools then you must ask this for clipping path service provider they will tell you exactly the same and help to crop your imported images.

Message 6 of 17
JHuang

You can create a legend, and insert your image in to this legend at first. Then you can you Region to overlay solid white layer to hide the part that you do not want to show. Finally, drag the legend into the sheet desired.
Message 7 of 17
JOHNWHITCRAFT1554

Use the image cropping tool.

Doesn't seem exist in AutoCAD.

But it does in paint.net! (sorry Autodesk)

I quickly pasted the image there -- cropped it -- then replaced it in the AutoCAD drawing.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you!! 

Message 9 of 17
jaleel73

it works Great👍

Message 10 of 17

There is a crop tool in Autocad.  The command is "imageclip"

Message 11 of 17
thomas.mackay
in reply to: jaleel73

It does NOT work great. This is a workaround for something which should be much, much easier. Honestly - first paste your image in to a level, then insert a view on to your sheet, then crop your image. Madness. The tools for cropping clearly exist - you can use them for a floor plan. Cut the crap. Should have happened years ago. This is Revit 2021!!!

Message 12 of 17

Seriously! I'm returning to Revit after years of being an ArchiCAD user. I'm floored that this hasn't been solved. Does Autodesk not expect that we're going to be using Revit to layout our cover sheets, to place renderings, maps etc.? Revit needs to perform (at a minimum) as a graphic design layout program, for a number of applications. Despite the aspirations of BIM, at the end of the day, our final output is a series of 2D drawings laid out on sheets (digital or otherwise). This is baked into our laws (at least into the United States). 

Message 13 of 17
ben.m594PK

You guys are way too generous in marking this as a "solution". It's not a solution. We're in revit 2023, and there is still no way to actually crop an image. This is one of a hundred simple basic function that the first release of Revit should have had.

Message 14 of 17

The thing with filled regions : they mask model elements - negates background collages.
Message 15 of 17
JP_Cloutier

Why is it still not possible in 2023? We can do it in Word (reaaaallly good with images...)

Message 16 of 17
ro
Enthusiast
in reply to: JP_Cloutier

No way to crop AND no way to (simply) adjust transparency.

Message 17 of 17
Mike086

If all you want is to fit an image in the sheet frame. In 2023 version select the Floor plan and check Crop View and Crop Region Visible in Properties panel then adjust the visible frame. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators