Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing CAD

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ihiTLSDD
254 Views, 6 Replies

Importing CAD

Hello everyone,

My problem is that when i import a CAD file into Revit, the CAD file gets distorted. 

• Difference between CAD grids and revit grids appears even when i created grids from same cad file .ihiTLSDD_0-1636015767485.png
  • Difference in angle 
    ihiTLSDD_2-1636015838996.png
  • Did anyone faced this problem can help me ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RDAOU
in reply to: ihiTLSDD

@ihiTLSDD 

1. How far is the cad file from the internal origin
  2. Has the CAD been properly aligned?
  3. Switch the Revit Grid off and measure the angle between the cad grid and cad wall, is it accurate?

Would you be able to attach the CAD file?

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 7
ihiTLSDD
in reply to: RDAOU

ihiTLSDD_0-1636023777843.png

CAD file is aligned ,the problem when i insert it into revit ,This is the angle between wall and CAD grids .

Message 4 of 7
RDAOU

@ihiTLSDD 

RDAOU_0-1636027366420.png

When the above is the first thing to pop up when trying to link/import a cad then it is either of 2 things

1. The CAD file has elements flying around away from the origin (0,0,0) and need to be cleaned up
  2. OR the CAD file is georeferenced with respect to 0,0,0 (instead of a local bench mark station. And the Revit model need to acquire coordinates and establish shared coordinates

Open the cad file and check the following XREF at 0,0,0 

RDAOU_0-1636027784176.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 7
ihiTLSDD
in reply to: RDAOU

I've already sent you the origin CAD file but I've already done these things but still the same problem.

Message 6 of 7
RDAOU

@ihiTLSDD 

The CAD you sent is the file I captured the screenshots from...download and open it then zoom extent. you will see that there are elements way more than 20miles apart

dwg.gif

Message 7 of 7
syman2000

I've look at your file and it is beyond your origin point. This is why you have line jittering. Also for angle, Revit will always look for shortest angle. In CAD you can control what you want as angle but it makes no sense since builder will want the closest angle possible.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report