Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported DGN not visible at specified Level in Revit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kevin.anggrek
941 Views, 11 Replies

Imported DGN not visible at specified Level in Revit

Hi all,

I am importing a DGN file (from Bentley MicroStation Connect Edition) to Revit 2020. In my Revit Model I have the following Levels specified:

level.png

I intend to place my DGN model on 01- Lower Level. Thus, I have set the Origin of my model in DGN to (0,0,0), I picked Auto - Origin to Internal Origin for the Positioning and the intended level of 01 - Lower Level on the Place at option. However, I was getting the imported object not visible as shown below:

warn.png

After checking, the model is visible on the level below 01 - Lower Level, which is 00 - Foundation. When i check the Elevation View, the imported DGN drawing should have been placed correctly at 01 - Lower Level as shown below (indicated by the orange line):

1.png

View at 01 - lower level:

01level.png

View at 00 - Foundation:

00level.png

As seen above, even though the imported DGN drawing is placed at the correct level based on the Elevation View, it does not appear in the Floor Plan View of 01 - Lower Level. I have tried several previous suggestions in previous threads such as making sure the V/G for Imported Categories is checked. Is it because my imported DGN located exactly at 01 - Lower Level that it is invisible to that Level? How can I make it to show on 01 - Lower Level? I tried the 3D View and it works just fine. Sorry if this is a very simple problem. My background is API Developer and my modelling skill can be considered terrible.

Thank you

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

check your view range setting? thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 12

when you linked your dgn file did you check this setting please see attached. thanks

setting.JPG

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 12

Ah yes sir,

I did not check that part. Now I have checked it and it works, the imported DGN Model is only at my current level.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 12

But if I check that part, the model will be placed only at the active View. But it won't appear at the other Views such as Elevation View and the 3D View?

Message 6 of 12

can you share the file? what version of revit. thanks

Message 7 of 12

check if you have assigned a view template in the view? if yes set to none. thanks

Message 8 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: kevin.anggrek

Your Level 1 structural plan view is probably looking up so it doesn't show the elements placed on the level. Create a new structural plan view type that looks down.

Message 9 of 12

Sorry for the late reply sir,

I use Revit 2020. I have attached two files: the DGN file and the Revit Project file where I would like to import the DGN file into. For the DGN file, I cannot attach it directly because it is not a supported file type here on the forum.

DGN file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QitN69UXzr6Tr_jxcr--dikS_cr87jX9/view?usp=sharing

Apparently, If I try to import a DWG file instead of DGN and placed it on the Level 1, it is visible on Level 1 (no more warning message) and the Level below it (Level 0) and from Level 2, it will appear grayish to indicate that it is on the lower level. Here are some pictures of when I try to import DWG file into Level 1:

View on Level 1:

image.pngView on Level 2 (lines are faded, possibly indicating that it is on lower level?):
image.png

View on Level 0 (The same as View on Level 1):

image.pngI notice that when I import the DGN file previously, in the 3D view, their object boundary extends beyond their placed level (could this be one of the main cause of my issue?):

image.png

For the View template, the Revit project file i am using is from the Autodesk website thus I should have no way of knowing which View template was used as indicated in this thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-mep-forum/how-to-know-which-template-has-been-used-for-the-proj... (I must apologize for my shallow understanding of Revit).

Message 10 of 12

Is this what you mean by assigned View template sir? I saw the following Type Properties window of the View:

image.png

Apparently, the View Template aplied to new view  option is set to None already

Also, in the Properties window of the Floor Plan, the View Template option is set to None already:

image.png

Message 11 of 12
kevin.anggrek
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you sir for the reply,

I am trying to import the DGN files into the Floor Plan view, not the Structural one. Thus, there is no View Direction option available in the type Properties (either Up or Down)

Message 12 of 12

After taking a look at the View Range property of Level 1, here is the View range properties set to the Level 1 Floor Plan View:

image.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report