Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impervious to Void Cuts/Geometry can cut

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1558 Views, 14 Replies

Impervious to Void Cuts/Geometry can cut

An option in families to make solid geometry impervious to void cuts, so that a void can cut one part of the family without affecting other parts. OR have geometry able to cut other geometry without joining so that materials can be different. 

Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
wr.marshall
in reply to: Anonymous

This is already possible with the uncut tool. Below is an abstract cube(green) with a cover(blue) and a cylinder cutting one end. I copied cylinder twice just to show where it is. Using the uncut tool I uncut cylinder 1 from cube, which is what I believe you are after. Uncut cylinder 2 from cube and cover so that is would be visible for illustration purpose.

UNCUT.png

Another possibility is to draw a solid rather than a void then change it too a void after. This will stop the void automatically cutting solids it goes through. then use cut tool only on parts that require cutting.

@kimberly.fuhrman if @Anonymous is satisfied with answer please move this to the arch forum.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

i used the uncut tool, but when i load the family into a project it cuts everything anyway. I'm trying to do an array with voids, and any time you set the number higher it makes a "new" void, which cuts everything, when i only want to cut a door and not the inner panel.
Message 4 of 15
wr.marshall

@Anonymous try post the family in the architectural forum and describe in detail what you would like it to do or how you would like it to work. A seasoned user will then be able to advise and perhaps in process fix the family for you.  Just make sure to attach your family when you create a thread.

If patient maybe @kimberly.fuhrman can move this thread to architectural forum and then you can reply with attached family. This way there is a history of replies which will give others more insight. It will also hopefully ( 😥 ) be reviewed by Autodesk one day which might simplify the process but don't count on this.

Message 5 of 15
kimberly.fuhrman

@Anonymous , @wr.marshall ,

I did check with Harlan and he also suggested moving this to the forum. I will go ahead and move it, and we will continue to follow up on this.

Thank you!

Kimberly

Kimberly Fuhrman-Jones
Revit Community Manager
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

@wr.marshall Here is the file I made. The point of it is to be able to set the panels in the door to any number, and to have the material of the door be separate from the material of the panels themselves. I've tried: having a separate, static void where the panel is and telling it to uncut the panel (cuts the panel anyway when loaded into a project); setting the panel voids to only go up to the panel (you then get both materials competing for visibility); having the panel extrusions be part of the groups that are arrayed (when you switch from a lower to a higher number the new ones cut all the way through and dont leave the panel); and having it be a separate array (same problem). the only thing that *sorta* works is to set the array number really high, and then only bring it down and never back up (which doesnt work with our workflow, wherein we need to start with them flush and change them at the end to be the right style)

Message 7 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: wr.marshall

@wr.marshall wrote:

This is already possible with the uncut tool. Below is an abstract cube(green) with a cover(blue) and a cylinder cutting one end. I copied cylinder twice just to show where it is. Using the uncut tool I uncut cylinder 1 from cube, which is what I believe you are after. Uncut cylinder 2 from cube and cover so that is would be visible for illustration purpose.

UNCUT.png

Another possibility is to draw a solid rather than a void then change it too a void after. This will stop the void automatically cutting solids it goes through. then use cut tool only on parts that require cutting.

@kimberly.fuhrman if @Anonymous is satisfied with answer please move this to the arch forum.

There are several ways approaching this:

1. Create the core panel as a nested family.

2. Create two voids, separated by the core thickness.

Message 8 of 15
barthbradley

@Anonymous : the approach I would use, would be just the opposite. Instead of creating the panels using subtractive method , I would create them using additive method. That is, I would suggest modeling and arraying the rail. The rail would be atop the backing geometry.  Get it?  

Panels830.png

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

how do I make a flush door option with that, without the lines that would show up if you had a "panel" piece fill in?

Message 10 of 15
RDAOU

@Anonymous 

too many voids in a single simple family...If you want it seamless, you need to to work with nest door panels types (No cuts, 1 cut, Multiple cuts) and use a nested face based void better control in arrays

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 11 of 15
barthbradley

You mean like a no panel condition?  Have a Parameter that controls the Extrusion Thickness and a Parameter that controls the Rail Visibility.  

Like this?  With and without panels? 

NOPANEL2.png NOPANEL3.png

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

see how you can still see the lines where the panel *would* be? I need those lines to disappear entirely.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

the only aspect of it that isn't working is that the voids cut both the door and the panel... if I set them to be thinner, I get a competing materials displaying. If I could "cut" the door piece with the "panel" piece without them joining it'd be perfect.
Message 14 of 15
barthbradley

You can make any linework/geometry invisible via its Visibility Parameter.  What I showed you is just an example.   

Panel830-5.png

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

making the core panel a nested family seems to work, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators