Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view .rvt file if you don't have Revit

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
ruthy.mizrahi
126245 Views, 18 Replies

How to view .rvt file if you don't have Revit

If I send an .rvt file to someone who doesn't have Revit, how can they view the model?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: ruthy.mizrahi

Anyone can use the online viewer, here: https://viewer.autodesk.com/
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 19
Viveka_CD

Hi @ruthy.mizrahi

I see that you are a new visitor. Welcome to the Autodesk community!Smiley Happy

You have the following options to view a Revit model without Revit:

• Use the free online A360 Viewer    
  • Download the free Design Review 2013 and export the Revit model as a DWF.
  • Use the Revit viewer mode.  This is explained in the article: How to use Revit Viewer Mode
  • If you have Navisworks, you can open the Revit file in Navisworks, then save as an NWD file.  That NWD file can then be viewed in the FreeNavisworks Freedom viewer. 
  • If you are using A360 Team, you can invite others to the project and they can preview the 3D model there.
  • If you export the Revit 3D view to an AutoCAD DWG file (and likely best as ACIS solids), that file can be viewed in AutoCAD or AutoCAD 360
  • Check for Revit Viewers at the Autodesk Revit App Store

If you find posts have solved your problem, please click on 'Accept as solution' to help others with similar questions. Kudos welcome.

Thank you,

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi Viveka,

Is there a way to view the Revit 3D model online? Like a plug-in that I can install it on my website to display revit 3D models to website visitors?

Cheers

Message 5 of 19
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 6 of 19

Use BIM 360 ViewerBIM 360.jpg

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Missing parent files i have rfa file .how can i open the rfa file

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Missing parent files i have rfa file .how can i open the rfa file

You will need to view with the Revit Viewer....basically the trial but a different shortcut (not on desktop)

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Hi,

I know this was answered. But you might want to try xuver.com online viewer. You can essentially convert and upload your Revit file to their online viewer and then invite anyone to join you inside and view it with you. You can then both walk around with an avatar and use the voice module to discuss ideas if you'd like. 

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 19
Viveka_CD

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for sharing! How about VR?

Regards,

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous

Hi @Viveka_CD 

This should be up and running in a few months actually. They're working on it currently. 

Ed

Message 12 of 19
Viveka_CD

@Anonymous 

Interesting. Good to know!

Regards,

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

Hi , we have revit files which cannot be shared on cloud. Are there any free viewer that can be downloaded onto our PC for viewing and comment?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

The program from Autodesk is used to make RVT files, thus it will open files in this format, too. If you do not have already got Revit and you are not coming up with on buying it, you'll still open the RVT file for free with the Revit trial.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

Why can't you share it on the cloud? 

Xuver(.)com has a free viewer that works completely online. 

You can setup an account, which will allow you to download a free plugin to convert your RVT file, upload it to their system and view your model online. 

If you would like to share your model with others you can actually invite other people inside to view it with you from their own browser, from anywhere in the world.

It then allows you to both walk around your model with your own avatar and discuss ideas while inside. 

Tags (1)
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

We need to be able to view our consultant's revit files without compromising their design by having it potentially accessible by other users/companies.  This is why we need a local revit viewer.  I'm amazed that this reason is overlooked or not understood by the previous commenter.  I understood the first commenter's request completely.  Not everything is sharable / viewable on the web - no matter how 'easy' it is.

Message 17 of 19
RobDraw

There is a viewer mode in Revit. Just download the trial and you will have the viewer that can be used after the trial is done.

It amazes me that people will criticize the apparent lack of a resource without fully investigating. The original question was about viewing a model without Revit.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Viveka,

3 years later your list of solution does not seem to work anymore. I have a problem as I was given set of .rvt files created by HVAC manufacturers (Trane, etc.) and have to convert them to collada files (.dea) or .3ds files used by proprietary software we use. I do not have access to any Autodesk products. I tried your list of solutions in hopes that I could find some way of converting them

• Use the free online A360 Viewer: failed with error: "Revit-UnsupportedVersionOlder The file was saved in an old version of Revit which we don't support.Please upgrade this project to Revit 2015 or later. TranslationWorker-RecoverableInternalFailure Possibly recoverable warning exit code from extractor: -536870932"
  • Download the free Design Review 2013 and export the Revit model as a DWF: your link links to the current Design Review which does not support .rvt files. I did find "Design Review 2013" and installed it but I can not open it due to some system error (dwfapp_wt.1.7.0.dll not found)
  • The other solutions seem to need some other software installedAre there any tools for converting .rvt files to some open format files? How do people deal with older versions of the files? Are there any python libraries for parsing .rvt files that do not need other software installed?
Message 19 of 19
RobDraw

This thread is about viewing Revit files, not converting them. You need the full program for making conversions.

If you have more questions, you should start your own thread.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report