Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show only nested family in view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Shaiki_
857 Views, 4 Replies

How to show only nested family in view

Attached is the family in question. I am wanting to know what the best way would be for me to set up a view filter/template to show only the anchor bolt. The reason would be for an anchor layout plan where I don't want to show the rest of the connection, just the anchor bolt. 

A semi-unrelated question - the anchor bolt is a default Revit family, but I can't figure out why I can't link the length to my Anchor Bolt Length parameter in my BC3 family. I think it is because in the anchor bolt the length is a sum of a few different measurements. Any way to get around this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
RDAOU
in reply to: Shaiki_

@Shaiki_ 

Several ways to do that...one of the neat methods is to use subcategories:

• - model each of the components as a different subcategory
  • - in the subject view, go to visibility graphics and make sure the subcategories which you want visible are checked/switched ON and those you want to hide are switched OFF (example: Plate switched off and only bolts and nuts showing)

vc1.png

In your case, structural connections already has preset subcategories for bolts/anchors/plates...etc so just edit the family and make sure each element is set to the proper subcategory

sub.png

PS: If there is a subcategory which you need and not listed...simply go to Object Styles in the Family and create NEW

sub1.png

@hmunsellyou feel like screencasting this one? 😛

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 5
Shaiki_
in reply to: RDAOU

Oh I think I may be able to figure that out...I was unaware you could create your own subcategories! 

Any ideas on the Anchor Bolt length parameter @RDAOU ?

Message 4 of 5
RDAOU

@Shaiki_ 

The length of the Anchor bolt L1 is driven by a formula L2 + L3 - a

You need to associate the parameter L2 and L3 and a with  parameters in the host family

To do that...

1. edit the bolt family
  2. make those parameters Instance Parameters
  3. Reload to the Host family and associate them to parameters in the host family

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 5
hmunsell

well i was making one but OP said they could do soooooo. 🤣

here you go....

https://autode.sk/38eC0k0

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators