Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show awning Opening in 3D view?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
pearlofsadness
1886 Views, 3 Replies

How to show awning Opening in 3D view?

HI all, I changed one portion of my curtain wall to an awning window, and I really wanted to show it in rendering with the awning opened so people will know that portion can be opened. But I am not sure how do I literally, "OPEN" the awning? Or just window in general. Is there a way?

I want to show something like this:

images.jpeg

Is there a way to show? Or is all family fixed and u cant "Rotate" it or something to show it like this in Revit? Because usually in modelling softwares like SketchUp or even 3D Max we can simply just rotate the window outwards to give that "Illusion".... 😞

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AutoCAT95
in reply to: pearlofsadness

I see two options

• Duplicate and edit your courtain wall family so that it looks like open window. Then insert new type of that curtain wall in places wher you want it shown. 
  • You can create simple family of opened window and put it on the wall just to indicate possibility of opening that windows.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: pearlofsadness

You can also model the open pane and use the visibility settings to show it open in 3D views and the normal pane not showing, and to not show in any other views.

Message 4 of 4

We have fully parametric Door and Window Families that open and close. It’s really not that difficult to build in that functionality. The typical way to do it, is to nest the door panel or window sash into the parent family and host it to a Ref. Line, and then use a labeled dimension to drive the angle of the Ref. Line/hosted geometry. However, I’m finding that building that same fully parametric functionality into a Curtain Wall Window family is near impossible. But, I’ve never tried to do it with a CW Window before now. Maybe someone can school me. 

Best I could do is a semi-parametric CW Awing that opens and closes (Attached). It’s based the OOTB CW Awning. The nuance is that the width the height of the operational sash needs to be manually inputted for each instance placed. I couldn’t figure out how to associate the width and height of the operational sash to the family’s placement instance width and height -- the ones Revit calculates.

I think its operation and construction are pretty self-explanatory. See if it can work for you, or if you can take anything away from it.

If you break it, you own it. 😉

CWAwn.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report