Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to offset/lock a roof ridge from the cut reference lines in nested mass family while keep parametric / flexable

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
heichan88
255 Views, 4 Replies

How to offset/lock a roof ridge from the cut reference lines in nested mass family while keep parametric / flexable

Hello,

I am making a roof ridge, that:

(1)  in the nested roof famlify, make a reference line loop along the cut (section plane) joists at the ridge

(2) after loaded in the project, to create a in-place family by extruction and pick (+offset + locked) the above reference line loop

(3) then after the parameter changes, the extruction is not flexed and detached from the designed ridge location

Please advice the correct process to create a flexable in-place family based on the reference line loop in the nested family

Thanks

微信图片_20220218215859.png

微信图片_20220218221125.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: heichan88

Why don't you create the extrusion in the same family where you created the reference lines loop?  And, since you have been creating most of these things using mass/adaptive families, why not model this using similar approach?

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
heichan88
in reply to: ToanDN

Hello @ToanDN 

OK I ttry again by rotate 4 times around (not mirror) the nested family in the host family (bfore I  mirrored the nested at 4 sides, which will duplicated 2  pieces at the same location.)

yesterday I didn't express correctly: the key of problem is OFFSET, ie not flex even OFFSET/Lock from the nested reference line, then unabel to be flex. (when no offset, it works), I am trying straght line and mark offset dimension now.... (spline seems unable to offset)  

微信图片_20220219072334.png

微信图片_20220219071407.png

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
ToanDN

@heichan88 wrote:

Also, the key of my question is OFFSET/Lock from the nested reference line, then unabel to be flex.

(when no offset, it works), I am trying straght line and mark offset dimension now.... (spline seems unable to offset)  

To answer your key question: offset from a ref line and lock (assume you place a dimension and lock it) doesn't work because when the angle of the ref line changed, they are no longer parallel, and the locked dimension will be deleted.

If you want to rely on the nested reef lines to create the element, perhaps create a void using pick 3d path to trim the solid to create the final shape.

- pink: ref lines = void sweep path

- orange: void sweep

- blue: solid

ToanDN_0-1645230280123.png

Or better, create an adaptive family with the number of points you need, then place it in project snap on the ref line loops.

ToanDN_0-1645230657862.png

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
heichan88

Hello @ToanDN 

i followed your second advice (adaptive ridge nested then pick  the nested roof reference line loop, it works and flex 

Many Thanks

微信图片_20220219212844.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators