Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modeling Ropes in REVIT

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
4292 Views, 7 Replies

How to modeling Ropes in REVIT

Dear All,

I would like to ask for an advice.

1) I would like to model a parametric family of a pulley system with steel ropes (see an example in attachment). I started to model the rope as steel collums and beam (with round crossection) and than move it to the right spot where it looks like it is connected to the pulley. But the work with these is not very good and it also is difficult once there is a slight movement of the axes (the beam axis isn't 100 perpendicular).

Did anybody try to do some similar thing but in a better way? I would much appretiate any tips you might give.

2) What I also want to see is to make revit show me a big cross at the center of the rope when I cut it in any section. I did not figure out how to make it automaticaly and I habe to draw the cros by hand (with a detail line). Does anybody know a better way?

Thank you.

Vojtech

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Sahay_R
in reply to: Anonymous

No attachment!

Try a Sweep - with a circular cross section. 

FWIW - I would really not use Revit for modeling a pulley with ropes. 3DS Max, or possibly Inventor would be a better option. Beter control and more options to create complex geometry.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 8
ToanDN

Sounds like what a generic model should do.  Can you share an image?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi, sorry. now there should be a picture. What I also tried is to create an adaptive family with 2 insertion points (attachment). But that still means that I have to move the points everytime when I move my pulley. Is there a way to create a system that would be a bit more inteligent? Have you any tips for my 2) point? How to show a big cross if I cut the rope?

Thanks a lot for any insight. Vojtech 

Example.png

Message 5 of 8
ToanDN

See attached file for an idea to control the pulley parametrically.  For the cross symbol, I would just draw two detail lines on the plan of the pulley family for the vertical segment and on an elevation for the horizontal segment, or create a detail family with two detail lines and nested it the pulley family.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/2ff27316-eac1-45ac-87ea-5bf99bde77ac

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

1) Thanks for the effort ToanDN but I still don't see a solution to my problem. I really need it to work in 3D.

2) The ropes in the system are not 100% horizontal or vertikal so if I draw a detail line in one section it won't show me the line on the right place when I cut it with another section.

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN

It works in 3d. I was only demonstrating the idea how to constrain the parameters. Replace the model lines and circles woyh 3d elements an they work the same.
Message 8 of 8
ToanDN

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report