Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure element on image ?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
alex.motion
1051 Views, 8 Replies

How to measure element on image ?

Is there any chance to create free dimension to measure wall on reference image for example ?

because it requires dims to be tied and snapped to something , or I need to create line everytime and measure that line after.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
L.Maas
in reply to: alex.motion

You can use the measure tool for this

Capture.JPG

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 9
alex.motion
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks , it worked but now have another problem .

how to make that dimension not disappear and left there (I need to explain something on drawing and want that dim to be there) is that possible to have free floating dimension on image ?

Message 4 of 9
martijn_pater

Draw some annotation lines on top and dimension those...

Message 5 of 9
L.Maas

The method @martijn_pater proposed is an alternative solution. If you do not need it in a project you also could use the measure tool and make a screenshot (you can use standard Snip tool in windows).

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 9
alex.motion
in reply to: L.Maas

Of course I do need them in a project ..

I need to show a hypothetical connection and show what might be in certain case explain any "from here to here" , 

For example, distance from any wall point to any other wall point on elevation and on plans ,

it should be simple right ? ability to set a dimension that originates and ends without need to be snapped.

why such simple things are complicated in revit..

who will change that ) who will add ability to snap at wall centre of a room for example 

who will make insulation bent on areas where wall finish layer wraps .. 

I'm collecting that annoying imperfections of revit ) 

thanks for help anyway !

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Unfortunately Revit snaps to definite points, such as elements or lines.  You can also dimension to reference planes, which won't print.

You could also consider taking your image into a detail family and drawing lines.  Use the detail rather than the image.

Revit can only do what it can do.  We, the users, need to learn what Revit likes and how to use it.  This will apply to any software.  If there are limitations, we get around them.  I haven't come accross anything that can't be done somehow.

Message 8 of 9
alex.motion
in reply to: Anonymous

"Revit can only do what it can do" , that explains a lot 

you can substitute word revit by any other software name

and here you have best motivation for every development 

I'm not saying it's bad , It's annoying because it's really little thing 

imagine PDF reader that requires writing a code "open file=true" before you open any file in acrobat reader

adobe: "guys it is what it is ... just get along with it"

Message 9 of 9
martijn_pater

Personally I would love a 'disassociate dimension from elements'-kind-of-feature really, more often then not it's very annoying dimensions getting deleted/changed. Hard to keep track of from time to time. It would then be better to just have 'leftover' dimensions perhaps you can cycle through afterwards. It is one of those things I feel developers code things into the software, for whatever reason, that don't allow users enough freedom really. Similar to deleting levels actually, why isn't there a "disassociate from level" and should you delete all elements associated to a level...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report