Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to leave an empty model text

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
danezeq
2330 Views, 17 Replies

How to leave an empty model text

hey again 🙂

I'm editing a family type of sign.

i placed model text on both sides. the text come from parameter.

Sometimes the back side will have no text at all, the thing is the model text value has to include something otherwise revit wont accept the value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6gS-LJBVg

is there a possible sulution for that? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: danezeq

Create a y/n parameter to turn it off?
Message 3 of 18
danezeq
in reply to: ToanDN

Well i have a y/n parameter for "Both sides sign". when it's off -> the visible value of the back model text connected to this parameter is set to not visible. (as well as a text label on plan view that disappears when its off).

But nevertheless, the model text value always exist and has, or has not text in it.

if it has not text in it, revit will display this message anyway (and halt)

Message 4 of 18
ToanDN

If the model text is turned off then there is no need to empty it.
Message 5 of 18
danezeq

But the parameter exist even if its turn off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCWWGfAa9E

Message 6 of 18
ToanDN

Yes the parameter exists but the model text is turned off so there is nothing shown on the back of the sign. Is that not what you want?
Message 7 of 18
danezeq

yes - i want that.

But revit don't accept empty text field. he say there must be some text. even if the visible parameter set to no, it want text. did you see the erroe message on video?

Message 8 of 18
ToanDN

No you don't have empty text field. The field still say "Empty" or whatever but the model text is turned off so it doesn't matter what the field says.
Message 9 of 18
danezeq

My project has lots of signs which has empty back side - thus - the "back text" parameter is empty in all of them.

are you saying that i should change the "back text" parameter on all of them from " " to "empty"? thats what you meant?

Message 10 of 18
ToanDN

Yes.
Message 11 of 18
danezeq

This family im building now will be used by some more workers, if they leave this field empty (which is a reasonable thing to do) they'll get error messages, I'm trying to make the family files as user friendly as i can.

there's no anyway i can handle this problem?

Message 12 of 18
RDAOU

@danezeq 

If you are afraid that the users blank out the Text Parameter, control it with an IF statement … 

Edit...When back text is visible, is it always similar to that of the front?

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 13 of 18
danezeq
in reply to: RDAOU

Back text is usually different from Front text

Message 14 of 18
martijn_pater

@danezeq wrote:

My project has lots of signs which has empty back side - thus - the "back text" parameter is empty in all of them.

are you saying that i should change the "back text" parameter on all of them from " " to "empty"? thats what you meant?

Are these pre-defined texts on the back/front?

Message 15 of 18
danezeq
in reply to: martijn_pater

What is "pre-defined" text?

Message 16 of 18
martijn_pater

When the text is defined in advance as fixed options instead of user input... the user chooses "a", "b", "c" for example, instead of being able to type in "d"... but you can build the family in different ways i suppose, it is not entirely relevant/interesting for you here maybe. Well, it could be... not sure.

Message 17 of 18
RDAOU

@danezeq 

Why don't you use 2 different families

1. Type A single sided
  2. Type B double sided

Then you wont need to have anything empty !!

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 18 of 18
danezeq
in reply to: RDAOU

at this point, after you all helpt me build the almost perfect family, it'll be so much hassle. But i think it's a great idea, im saving it, maybe ill change it the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators