Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export Revit models to unity or unreal Engine?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
sayooj.jay
10638 Views, 14 Replies

How to export Revit models to unity or unreal Engine?

Although yo u can exp ort  th   em as FBX file,they loose all textures and end up as grey  color.Is there any way to resolve it?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Denn5895
in reply to: sayooj.jay

As said by Kadeschui

You are going to have some issues unless you pass the Revit model through another application like 3DS Max to re-scale the geometry and create your UV's, beforehand.

Revit will not create UV's for your models and in my experience, your geometry is going to be pretty messy (very high poly and un-optimized geometry, inverted face normals, etc.).

If you just want a quick walk-through of your Revit model, you can make some minor tweaks in 3DS Max and have a decent, untextured model to view in Unreal. For anything more - even close to an ArchViz quality scene (let alone photo-real) - you're better off re-modelling everything in another program.

This is why you don't see architects pulling their revit models directly for renders; instead they re-model/hire another company for visualizations.

Some tips:

1. Try to break up larger models. If you have a house with 10 rooms, don't import them all at once as one model. Break it up into seperate rooms and import 10 files, then just drop them into the scene (they should automatically be arranged if you click+drag them in all at once)

2. In addition to above, you don't want to separate any wall or floor that is visually contiguous. Walls that meet at corners are fine but separating a continuous wall and joining them together causes seaming since UE4 renders each geometry on a different thread during building. You can see what I mean here: 

3. Be sure to convert them to standard materials. Also, take a look at tom shannon's maxscript, it's a huge time saver. http://www.tomshannon3d.com/2014/09/tstoolsv11.html

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 15
L.Maas

Yes, there is, with the use of 3DSMax. The material in Revit are not compatible with Unity.

What I normally do is export it out of Revit to FBX. I import the FBX file in 3DSMAx and convert all materials with the scene converter tool.

Scen Conv.png

I modified the settings in that tool so that it convert all materials to standard materials

After conversion I export it out to FBX again and import that FBX in Unity.

Then all the assets have their proper material. You might need to finetune some/all of the materials in Unity

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 4 of 15
sayooj.jay
in reply to: L.Maas

Can't seem to find any option for standard materials here?

Untitled-1.jpgCan you please tell me what settings you used to convert materials to standard materials?

Message 5 of 15
L.Maas

In this case it would have been better to start a new topic.

SceneConverter.PNG

-Go to the editor tab

-Expand Materials

-Select each material category and then select Standard Material.

You will then get list like in the column on the right.

You can save your settings as a preset, for next times.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

There's also an online converter available which takes an FBX, converts the Autodesk Materials to Standard ones, then you download the converted file. Works perfectly for me.

http://materialconverter.com/

Message 7 of 15
Viveka_CD

Hi @sayooj.jay

Please try the Export to Unity* app which helps export Autodesk® Revit® Models directly to Unity with materials and textures.

*I have provided a link to an application or add-in that MIGHT provide the extra functionality for which you are looking. Please note, however, this is not an Autodesk product or endorsement. You should take all precautions whenever you elect to download/install/utilize any application and do so at your own risk. Please review the developer’s documentation and disclaimers before proceeding to utilize their product(s).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 8 of 15
ibober

You can use one of the add-ins to export the project from Revit to glTF

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=8451869436709222290&appLang=en&os=Win64

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=531407844766561060&appLang=en&os=Win64

and then import it in Unity using this Sketchfab plugin

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/input-management/sketchfab-for-unity-14302

or building this runtime importer which is free at least in contrast to the plugins above.

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/UnityGLTF

Message 9 of 15
Viveka_CD
in reply to: ibober

Hi @sayooj.jay 

You can keep an eye on this for future webinars: https://unity.com/solutions/aec

A simple workflow to get your assets in unity: Revit - 3dsmax - fbx - unity 

Regards,

Message 10 of 15
pravinvamp2
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Hi Mam, i have used the plugin export to unity. but in unity i dont have textures and materials. can u attach any video

@Viveka_CD wrote:

Hi @sayooj.jay

Please try the Export to Unity* app which helps export Autodesk® Revit® Models directly to Unity with materials and textures.

*I have provided a link to an application or add-in that MIGHT provide the extra functionality for which you are looking. Please note, however, this is not an Autodesk product or endorsement. You should take all precautions whenever you elect to download/install/utilize any application and do so at your own risk. Please review the developer’s documentation and disclaimers before proceeding to utilize their product(s).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question. Likes welcome!

Regards,

Message 11 of 15
kevinmGFYPQ
in reply to: pravinvamp2

I am reposting this thread since I am now needing to export Revit files pretty regularly to Unreal and Unity.  I can only imagine this is going to continue to increase so hopefully there are some improvements.

My main struggle at this moment is with how families are brought into either engine, especially curtain walls or door assemblies.  They seem to come into the engines as one "actor" where I cannot access the door frame or the door separately to deal with textures.  Same with the curtain walls.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I understand one can "remodel" the entire project in 3dsmax or whatever but this is 2020, not 2015, and there has to be better options.  I do use Enscape and Twinmotion at times which work out really well but I am using the game engines for some interactive work as well as mobile AR technology.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 12 of 15
kevinmGFYPQ
in reply to: kevinmGFYPQ

Any way to get some help on this?  I would think that a post that has received 6100 plus views since the intial posting means it has relevancy to alot of users.  Autodesk has been working with Unity to develop Reflect but why should I have to pay another 650 dollars/ year to make things work when the FBX would be fine if I could get the materials and families to export correctly.   650 dollars is a pretty expensive fee to get the export to work better than it does.  At least with Unreal, I don;t have the fee but I still have the same issue with families exporting as one object.

Message 13 of 15
kevinmGFYPQ

Well, this is not encouraging.  It looks like someone else had this same issue and had to try to  make it work with programmatically with the API.  Is it really that difficult to create an option where the families could be broken up by material or something?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/exporting-families-to-fbx-results-in-single-blocks/td...

Message 14 of 15
ibober

The glTF Exporter plugin has an option to export meshes by material, you might want to check it out.

Message 15 of 15
kirylXDQF6

Try this plugin to export Revit to glTF which can be consumed by UE and Unity: glTF Exporter + API | Revit | Autodesk App Store

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report