Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design a corrugated roof in Revit?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jmmeshack
3518 Views, 6 Replies

How to design a corrugated roof in Revit?

I want to define a corrugated iron sheet roof but cant remember how to go about it.

Title edited for clarity by @Viveka_CD

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Corsten.Au
in reply to: jmmeshack

Message 3 of 7
bimscape

The first question you need to ask yourself is....

Do I "need" to model (in 3D) the corrugations- or is it sufficient to just show them as as a series of lines? As always, there's pros and cons.

I think it's important that people think out what they want / need from a component / system family before they embark on it's creation.

Kind regards,
Ian

Author of The Complete Beginners' Guide to Autodesk Revit Architecture (free online course)
Message 4 of 7
Sahay_R
in reply to: bimscape

I'm with @bimscape on this. However, if you really are a sucker for punishment, try by modeling the Roof as Extrusion. hat would be helpful if you need only a couple of instances. If you are going to use this a bunch of times. then the approach suggested by @dzanta in the screencast mentioned by @Corsten.Au would be the way to go.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

Agreed with @bimscape - don't over model if you don't have to.  My order of tools to create a corrugated roof.  The first one is my preference and the last three are equally in terms of favorable.

1. Using a normal roof and assign a material with a simple model surface pattern and a good corrugated metal image/bump map for realistic/rendering

Capture.PNG

2. Using a sloped glazing and corrugated curtain wall panels as shown in the video that @Corsten.Au linked.  Be aware that this approach only works (very well) for rectangular roofs.

3. Using a sloped glazing and mullions for the corrugated module, no panels.  This works for non-rectangular roofs but there is a limit on the number of mullions in one system so if the roof is large, it needs to be subdivided to smaller ones.  This is also very heavy on the model.

4. Using a sloped beam system, each beam is a corrugated module.  This is a similar to (3) but with a higher limit of the number of modules.  Also very heavy on size. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
Viveka_CD

Hi @jmmeshack

Welcome to the Autodesk community! Thanks for visiting and posting a question on the forums.Smiley Happy

Please mark responses that helped with "Accept as Solution", this will help others find answers more quickly.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
frazer.reynolds
in reply to: ToanDN

Appreciate this an old post but are you able to go into any more detail regarding option 3? 

I have relatively small area of our roof which will require non rectangular panels so this seems like the best option. However as its mono pitched its difficult to see how this would be terminated at corners to work correctly. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report