Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete family type parameters

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
7193 Views, 7 Replies

How to delete family type parameters

I've started to build up a template from scratch and downloaded a lot of families from BIMobject, revitcity etc. I thought, I've deleted all irrelevant parameters in the family type parameter group, Identity Data, but when I use the families in a project, they show up anyway. But when I open the family in the family editor, I cant see parameters in any of the family types (doors and windows).

My question to you, how do I clean families for irrelevant parameters for good?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous Hi 

Lots of those families (which one downloads from the sites you mentioned) contain nested families and some even have 2nd level nested families (i.e. Family A nested into family B then B is nested into a host family C which you downloaded)

those parameters as usually shared parameters hence when you are loading family C into ur project, you are still seeing them.

What you need to do is work down the tree and remove them from the nested families as well. I.e. Edit the family u downloaded then edit the families loaded therein down to the last. You can check the project browser in the family editor to see the nested families if any.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 8
Joris.vd.Meulen

Hi Amyll,

Revit has two ways of adding parameters to your family.

1. Edit family and define your (shared) parameters.

2. Project > manage > project parameters > create parameter and assign that parameter to specific categories (Generic Models, Windows etc).

So since you notice that option 1. is 'clear', I think it's due your project has those parameters defined.

Cheers.

love python coding
Message 4 of 8
ToanDN

Since you started the template from scratch I second @RDAOU's comment that those parameters are from nested/shared families. They are common with objects provided by manufacturers.
Message 5 of 8
lorena_dantas

I have the same problem. I'have deleted all unnecessary parameters of the family and sub-families, but when loaded in the project I retrieve all of them... I've even checked the detail components. There is nothing.

Message 6 of 8

Even if the parameters are not in a family (or any nested families into the family), the Properties window or the Edit Type window can still show additional parameters if there are Project Parameters asociated with the category of the family. So, if you are sure that those parameters are not necessary, go to Manage > Project Parameters > find the parameters and delete them. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 8
lorena_dantas

I don't have these parameters in my project parameters... I don't know why they still appearing.

Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Do you have any add-ins, such as Roombook or similar? Some add-ins bring custom parameters.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators