Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a flexible window family with removable bays and mullions

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
gnarkill283
1361 Views, 2 Replies

How to create a flexible window family with removable bays and mullions

I have attached a fairly simple 2bay window family I created which I'm trying to convert into a flexible 4 bay window family with removable bays and mullions. I would like the window to be able to change from 4 equidistant bays to 1 and have the ability to turn off the inner mullions. I've tried researching this for awhile and can't seem to even begin to understand the off/on parameter. Is this possible? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: gnarkill283

Option 1 (preferred):  Create different families for different configurations: 1 bay, 2 bay, 4 bay.

Option 2:  One family.  Create mullions dependent from frame and give it visibility check boxes for 1 bay, 2 bay, or 4 bay.  Mullions must not join with frame so you will see the join lines.

Option 3:  One family.  Create the entire frame and mullions for each configuration.  Give it visibility check box similar to Option 2.

Option 4:  One family.  Create the entire frame and mullions for the most complex configuration (4 bay).  Create voids that cut the mullions for other configurations.  Voids cannot have visibility check box so you need to control it by dimension to make the void intersect with the mullions.  It is rather complicated but it can be done.

I would go with Option 1. There is no need to overly ambitious and stuff everything into one family.

Message 3 of 3
BIMologist_
in reply to: gnarkill283

I agree with toanDN. As someone say KISS...why overly complicate families. They tend to either slow or bloat your project.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report