Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you make a room schedule with an embedded structural columns schedule that actually shows data

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MichaelWolff
611 Views, 10 Replies

How do you make a room schedule with an embedded structural columns schedule that actually shows data

Probably the office hours for ask the experts are over but this will wait till end of next month if need be.

Here goes: How do you make a room schedule with an embedded structural columns schedule that actually shows data. I want the room number (the one auto-maintained by Revit), its name and which structural colums are in it, of the columns I need the entry concerning their locations according to any grids that might be present.

I am on Revit 2019.2.6.

No, I do not want to program anything by myself. Dynamo is not a solution but a forum of its own.

Labels (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: MichaelWolff

What if a structural column spanning more than one level thus crossing more than one room?  There is a reason they use column grids to locate structural columns.

Message 3 of 11
Yien_Chao

yes it's possible.

create a multicategory schedule. you will have access to family, type AND rooms. then just filter properly.

2023-06-26_13-34-24.jpg

Message 4 of 11
MichaelWolff

It will pop up in every room it passes through, of course, but that is not the question. There is the possibility to embed a schedule of structural columns into a room schedule - only I cannot get it to work properly.

Message 5 of 11
MichaelWolff

Before anyone suggests it, I have tried shortening the columns so that they are each fully inside a room.

Message 6 of 11
MichaelWolff

@Yien_Chao Unfortunately your approach cannot access the structural columns' location parameter. What about the embedding of a structural columns schedule into a rooms schedule?

Message 7 of 11
Yien_Chao

@MichaelWolff 

unfortunately, the "Column Location Mark" is not a parameter that can appear as such in a multicategory schedule or even a structure schedule.

Maybe the solution is a simple dynamo that retrieve information into a project parameter, then your multicategory schedule will have the location mark AND room?

here the solution in found.

hope it could help.

2023-06-27_10-29-03.jpg

Message 8 of 11
MichaelWolff

@Yien_Chao I cannot get your dynamo script to run inside my revit 19 installation. Maybe you are using a more modern dynamo than what came with r19? I am sure you have better things to do anyway. Thank you for looking into this. When I marked your earlier (still dynamo free) entry as a solution that was because it gave way to this:

Make a multi-cat schedule (room number, room name, column type and comments) AND a structural columns schedule (with type, location and comments). Export the structural schedule to Google/Excel, copy the location values over to the comments, re-import the schedule into revit, now the multi-c schedule has room locations according to the columns. If rooms contain more than one column you even get a range where to find the room. I used DiRoots' brilliant SheetLink addin to achieve this but I suppose any spreadsheet exporter-importer will do.

If you fiddle with the grid names you may have to close and re-open the columns schedule to update it.

Message 9 of 11
Yien_Chao

@MichaelWolff  i just run the script in R19 and it works fine. dont use my Revit file, but only the dynamo in your project you've sent.

Message 10 of 11
MichaelWolff

2023-06-28 07_22_45-Window.pngI am sure the script is fine, but I would need our IT department to install dynamo 2 point something on my machine. 

Message 11 of 11
Yien_Chao

ok, so here the code, just paste it in a Python node. Don't forget to add a parameter by instance to the columns, here :  "column position"

import clr

#add reference DocumentManager and Transaction manager
clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
#import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

#add reference and Import RevitAPI
clr.AddReference("RevitAPI")
#import Autodesk
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument
collector= FilteredElementCollector (doc)
filter = ElementCategoryFilter(BuiltInCategory.OST_StructuralColumns)

columns = collector.WherePasses(filter).WhereElementIsNotElementType().ToElements()

#get location
loc = [i.get_Parameter(BuiltInParameter.COLUMN_LOCATION_MARK).AsString() for i in columns]

#starts transation
TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

for i,j in zip(columns,loc):
	i.LookupParameter("column position").Set(j)

#ends transaction
TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = loc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators