Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I copy paste between Revit files?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
hughecchapman
458 Views, 8 Replies

How do I copy paste between Revit files?

I've modelled an area of road and landscape in Revit2023.

hughecchapman_0-1718875862181.png

I exported this model as an .ifc and opened and saved it as an .rvt in Revit2021 in order to (hopefully) make it compatible with our working file in R2021.

But when I try to copy-paste this modelling from Revit 2021 into our main Revit2021 working file I encounter the following issue:

First this dialogue pops up

hughecchapman_1-1718875928823.png

I click ok then I see the pasted modelling looking like this -

hughecchapman_2-1718875969693.png

Clicking on any command (move e.g.) then causes the pasted modelling to disappear - apparently without trace.

Any help appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Tom_Kunsman
in reply to: hughecchapman

That is interesting that you were even able to paste an ifc file created in Revit 2023 to Revit 2021. My guess is that you might have gotten lucky somehow and it showed up, but then as you mention when you try moving it or anything it disappears.

My understanding is that even with the ifc you would need to stay in the same year release of Revit, and you can not "down save" a Revit file or ifc file. You will need to stay in the 2023 version software. 

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 9
Simon_Weel

I would first rename the mentioned elements in the source file and then copy the whole thing.

Message 4 of 9
hughecchapman
in reply to: Tom_Kunsman

Thanks @Tom_Kunsman.

Just to clarify - I'm not copy-pasting the .ifc itself. I used the .ifc as an 'exchange format' to 'downsave' the R23 file to an R21 file. But it sounds like this may not be a viable workaround...

I'm now experimenting with linking the modelling in as an rvt then using Bind Link.

If that doesn't work I'll try saving the modelling as a family and loading it in that way.

If anyone is able to share pros and cons of these approaches please let me know.

ty

Message 5 of 9
hughecchapman
in reply to: Simon_Weel

thanks @Simon_Weel please can you explain this in a bit more detail?

Message 6 of 9

If it's of any relevance I get this message when I copy paste the modelling before I click on a command and it disappears:hughecchapman_0-1718881183583.png

Message 7 of 9
Tom_Kunsman

You are still not allowed to "downsave" any sort of Revit project file or family. Sorry.

Autodesk once published a (lengthy) blog post on the reasoning behind this. If I find it I will share it.

Message 8 of 9
Tom_Kunsman

Please see the comment from Sasha Crotty in thsi forum post: Save as previous version - autodesk

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN

OpenIFC and save it as RVT. Load the RVT in your main file as model group, or link and bind.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report