Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Car Parking Spaces to Sloped Ground

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
paul.cosgraveJZT74
3726 Views, 18 Replies

Hosting Car Parking Spaces to Sloped Ground

I have a carpark - modelled as a floor - which has cross falls on it.

See attached image.

The red lines are showing where the car parking space lines are, 2600mm apart.

The black lines are split lines of the floor, falling towards the green dots, which are gullies. The gullies are positioned to be centred on a car space to prevent somebody stepping out of a car in high heels etc and standing into a gully.

Has anybody any idea how to create parking space lines that will be hosted by the floor I have drawn, and adhere to the slopes? Anything face based I put in snaps to one face or the other and parts of the lines disappear under the road.

Labels (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Check Work Plane-Based and uncheck Always Vertical in the Family.  Host to sloped Face or Work Plane  in Project

Message 3 of 19
cbcarch
in reply to: barthbradley

I don't think that works for Parking Stalls--they attach at the front end and then "cantilever" out over the slope.

I remember many years ago before the "Site Tools" came out, Eagle Point (who Adesk purchased from) came into the office to give us a demo.

I asked them to create a quick sloped parking lot. Major fail, in front of our whole group including leadership.😐

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 19

This is exactly the issue... the lines cantilever as such, being hosted by one face.  

Attached is a crude sketch showing the issue. Red lines are the surface at falls. The blue line is the parking space lines hosted by a face. It doesn't 'bend' or 'wrap' to the surface of the car park.

I'm trying to think of 'clever' ways to get around this. I was going to model a new floor 10mm thick to the shape of hte lines, but this is enormous work and not an option.

I've 500ish spaces across a large car park at falls and different levels. 

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 19
barthbradley
in reply to: cbcarch

So we're talking about a Parking Space that straddles two different hosts/work planes having two different slopes?  Is that right?   

Message 6 of 19

Correct. There is one drainage gully in the road per 4 parking spaces.

The spaces are constructed to a fall, with the central point being in the middle of the four spaces, per attachment to original post.

I've attached a snip from the model if it helps clarify. 

The car park surface is set to transparent at the moment, you can see a main drainage line underneath the road. 

Blue lines are parking spaces. Red arrows show direction of flow. The green square is where a gully will be, which will be piped to the main pipe under the road.

As you can see, some parking spaces have 3 or even 4 planes.

3d snip.png

Message 7 of 19

The OOTB Parking Stalls only "host" to a surface at one end.

As a tedious workaround, we have actually used Subregions to indicate parking striping on sloping toposurfaces. "Painted" by assigning subregion a paint material. Lots of copy/pasting, but it works. I think there is a limit on the number of lines that can be contained in a subregion ( something like 999?) so we had to create multiple toposurfaces with the subregion parking striping. We used the subregions for directional arrows, etc. as well. They render nicely and display well in colored site plans.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 8 of 19

Thanks Chris, I can see that this would be a good, well, workable solution if I'd modelled it as topo.

I actually have my road modelled as a floor, which I have built up by the layers of construction, stone bases, wear layers etc.

Am I goosed??  I won't be remodelling with top and all the levels again at this stage. 

Message 9 of 19

You could model the parking as "subdivided parts" of the Floor? However this adds a lot of complexity--so I'd not recommend it unless it adds a LOT of value to the project.

Are most of your site plans ( and floor plans which might show parking) normally 2D Views?

i.e. could you just use Model Lines or detail lines for the parking stalls and striping? 

We used the Topo/Subregions to show them in high-quality renderings where we really needed to see them. And as a plus, they worked for 2D documentation a well.

Cliff B. Collins
Message 10 of 19

Can you model the parking surface as a monolithic construct and shape-edit it using Modify Sub-Elements Tools?  

If so, Railing will follow an undulating host surface.  

Parking41.jpg

Message 11 of 19

Model lines might have to be the answer.
We do export navis files for co-ordination purposes, but usually this is within buildings, steel frames, etc. I might need to create 2D masking regions for the 100mm (4") white line paints. But it would be good to have them in the 3D model also..
Message 12 of 19

Develop a railing style to mimic painted lines?
Message 13 of 19

Sure. That's what I'm showing above. 

Parking41-1.jpg

...here's a better one. 10'-0" wide yellow stripe done with Railing.  😉

Parking41-5.jpg

...and following the undulating surface.  

Message 14 of 19

Just for fun, here's an old post from 2011 that I started, requesting parking stalls that attached to sloped surfaces.

https://www.revitforum.org/showthread.php/1537-Revit-Architecture-Parking-Stalls-attach-to-slope

Cliff B. Collins
Message 15 of 19
cbcarch
in reply to: barthbradley

So, a "Railing Schedule" to quantify the parking stalls? Just the ones parallel to the cars.

Workarounds are just that. But I suppose it could work? I don't like it.😔

Cliff B. Collins
Message 16 of 19

painted road.PNG

This is why I'm here!

Thank you very much. It's a work around I'll happily accept. Created a 100mm wide, 10mm thick railing which is hosted by the undulating surface. 

Looks exactly like what I want. Ideal, thank you.

Message 17 of 19

If you overfill the power steering fluid, you probably Garage Fortress won’t have many problems at first. The reservoir’s extra fluid will relax. Likely, you won’t have any significant issues.

Message 18 of 19
ToanDN
in reply to: cahtasham55

@cahtasham55 wrote:

just spamming, never mind me

what 'bout blinker fluid? don't you spammer sell it?

Message 19 of 19

Does the railing have a thickness?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators