Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide Wall Openings by category

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
andresbartelsmanCL8KP
1430 Views, 6 Replies

Hide Wall Openings by category

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to hide the wall openings by template but I'm not able to find its category yet. I only found the "Shaft opening" category, but that's not what I need. Is it possible to do that?

Kind regards in advance!

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

A Wall opening cuts a hole in the wall.  What is there to hide?

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

The purpose is to export the model in IFC format without having the wall opens in the navigation tree in the IFC viewer

Message 4 of 7

@andresbartelsmanCL8KP 

Instead of using the wall opening tool, You need to use one of the the following methods:

1. Use a Face based Generic model or a window family with a void extrusion
  2. Edit wall profile to create openings

RDAOU_0-1634821390299.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 7

How are the openings created? Are they coming from Doors/Windows inserted into the Wall? If so, you could use Phasing to accomplish what you want to do. 

Wall Phase Created=Existing. Window/Door Phase Created=New Construction. 

Infill1.pngInfill2.png

Message 6 of 7

I created the wall opening using the wall opening tool. Please note that I know how to make openings editing the wall profile and also using doors and windows. But I need to be able to hide wall openings created with the wall opening tool.

imagen_2021-10-27_101948.png

Message 7 of 7

@andresbartelsmanCL8KP 

You may have misunderstood the reply...I am aware and confident that you know how to create openings using edit profile. However, what I meant to say is that if you use the Opening tool,  you will not be able to avoid it the IFC tree.. because

• it can neither be hidden once it exists 
  • nor can it be phased to export model without it (openings using this tool inherit the phase of the host)

Therefore I reiterate:

1. if you want export the opening but not have it listed in the IFC tree:
    • you need to create the openings by editing the wall's profiles.
  2. If you do not want to export the openings to IFC:
    • you will need to use to loadable family to cut the wall with (ie: a face based or wall based family with a void cutting the host therein) - these are phase-able ie: will allow you to export to IFC without the opening 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators