Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation fields grey out in the Survey Point

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
dpatriotaW9CR9
882 Views, 19 Replies

Geolocation fields grey out in the Survey Point

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know how can I enter a latitude and longitude (decimal degrees) in the the survey point in Revit?

Why is it grey out? I am hoping to  use the coordinates from google maps and enter the latitude and longitude, so we have the geolocation of the site ( not just for shadows studies  per manage tab-location).

dpatriotaW9CR9_0-1665697355305.png

Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Acquire Coordinates from a Georeferenced Survey.  

Alternatively, set your Location via the Location and Site dialog box under Manage Tab. 

Message 3 of 20

I am afraid I don't have a georeferenced survey. Do you know if there is a way of entering the latitude and longitude? Thanks for you time!
Message 4 of 20

Manage Tab=>Location

Set Default City

Default City.png

Message 5 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: dpatriotaW9CR9

If you have the exact address, you can enter it and Search via Internet Mapping Service, then you can have a more precise Lat/Long (switch to Default City List to see it).

ToanDN_0-1665698602402.png

ToanDN_1-1665698618072.png

Message 6 of 20

Shadow USA.pngShadow Germany.png

Shadow at same time; different channel 😉

Message 7 of 20

BTW: to access to that Sun Settings dialog box I'm showing above, press the Sun icon on the View Control Bar.  

Message 8 of 20

Thank you barthbradley! I am familiar with the process you mentioned Manage=>Location. However that doesn't seem to have any impact  in the N/S or E/W fields in the survey. ( That would make the most sense to me to if they could relate, but they don't) . The main challenger here is how to enter my  latitude and longitude in the fields under 'Geolocation' Lat' and 'Lon' are greyed out.

dpatriotaW9CR9_0-1665753225080.png

Message 9 of 20

You can't. That is populated when you Acquire GIS Coordinates from a Linked Survey.  You said you didn't have one.   

Get Location from Survey.png

Get Location from Survey2.png

Message 10 of 20

Nope. I don 't have a georeferenced survey. I only have  the latitude and longitude which I got from google maps.

Can I do anything with  that to enter on the survey point fields?  Could I translate  decimals degrees( google maps ) to feet and inches( since they are not same units, that would not work, right?)

Message 11 of 20

@dpatriotaW9CR9 wrote:

Nope. I don 't have a georeferenced survey. I only have  the latitude and longitude which I got from google maps.

Can I do anything with  that to enter on the survey point fields?  Could I translate  decimals degrees( google maps ) to feet and inches( since they are not same units, that would not work, right?)

No. Why is this so important to you?  You stated originally that this was related to doing Shadow Studies.  The Origin of the Survey Coordinate System has no bearing on this.   

Message 12 of 20

I am looking to get an easy identifiable geolocation( from google maps) to place a revit project in to a real world location using the survey point. ( My statement in the beginning was not to use as mere shadows study).

Message 13 of 20

@dpatriotaW9CR9 wrote:

My statement in the beginning was not to use as mere shadows study.

Oops. My bad.  

Message 14 of 20

No Problem, Thank you for your commitment to this tread!
Message 15 of 20

You can still convert Lat/Long to UTM.  

Good luck.  

Message 16 of 20
ToanDN

Do you have AutoCAD?  You can create a DWG with the Geolocation and acquire its coordinates in Revit.

ToanDN_0-1665761199880.png

ToanDN_0-1665761546865.png

Message 17 of 20
dpatriotaW9CR9
in reply to: ToanDN

okay, That is a good idea. I will try! Thank you!
Message 18 of 20
dpatriotaW9CR9
in reply to: ToanDN

Hey ToanDN.. that worked very nicely to what I was hoping!
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
What is your choice and reason picking the GIS coordinate system in this overwhelming list they offer?

dpatriotaW9CR9_0-1665764978039.png

Message 19 of 20

If you are going to go that route, Specify Coordinates Before Linking Site Data

Specify Coordinates Before Linking Site Data | Revit 2019 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

...unclip Survey Point.  

Message 20 of 20
ToanDN

@dpatriotaW9CR9 wrote:

Hey ToanDN.. that worked very nicely to what I was hoping!
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
What is your choice and reason picking the GIS coordinate system in this overwhelming list they offer?

I would use an UTM (feet or meter depends on your country).

https://www.maptools.com/selecting_a_coordinate_system

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report