Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate GUID in Revit

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
AAdawiBIM
14671 Views, 33 Replies

Generate GUID in Revit

Dears,

I need help for What is the best way to generate GUID code in Revit?

and if I generate GUID more than once, It will change for the same element or will remain when generation happen several times.

Thanks and my best regards,

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
L.Maas
in reply to: AAdawiBIM

Not sure what you are after. You are not generating GUIDs, Revit does. When objects are created they get an (GU)ID appointed.

But on the BUILDINGCODER website you can find a discussion about GUIDs which might help you.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 34

Hi,

Thank you for taking your time to post this on the forum, 

As mentioned in the comment above, GUIDs gets generated automatically every time you create something in Revit. 

If you modify an object or move it, the GUID will remain the same - However, it will generate a new one if you copy/paste the object. 

What is the aim here? Are you using it for Field? 

Jacob Westergaard

Autodesk Premium Support Team
AEC Premium Support Services
Message 4 of 34

Thank you Jacob,

I want to extract GUID as a filed and use it as a unique code for elements in the model and to be locked filed cannot be modified.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous

This may be useful:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2009/02/uniqueid-dwf-and-ifc-guid.html

"A GUID is a 16-byte, i.e. 128 bit number. It is commonly split up into several fields of varying lengths and written in groups of 8-4-4-4-12 hexadecimal characters, i.e. 32 characters to represent the 16 bytes or 128 bits.

On the other hand, we have the Revit UniqueId. Every element has such a unique identifier, which is returned through the API as a string. This string is formatted in groups of 8-4-4-4-12-8 hexadecimal characters. It is thus similar to the standard GUID format, but has 8 additional characters at the end. These 8 additional hexadecimal characters are large enough to store 4 bytes or a 32 bit number, which is exactly the size of a Revit element id."

Message 6 of 34

Dear

For now, I am not able to see the ID in schedule as attached. I am really stuck for now.  Please help.

Message 7 of 34
L.Maas
in reply to: dipak.workshare

Better to start a new thread. Further maybe explain what you are trying to do.

How are you trying to generate those IfcGUIDs?

Louis

EESignature

Message 8 of 34
dipak.workshare
in reply to: L.Maas

I need the GUID/s to create the excel report from revit and to  transfer my model into GIS.

there is (u can see) some GUID/s not showing into the schedule which I have created from the revit schedule. I have created the "Communication Device Schedule" to understand in better way. The screenshots is attached below for example.  Please help.

Message 9 of 34
bimGS2A8
in reply to: dipak.workshare

@dipak.workshare wrote:

I need the GUID/s to create the excel report from revit and to  transfer my model into GIS.

there is (u can see) some GUID/s not showing into the schedule which I have created from the revit schedule. I have created the "Communication Device Schedule" to understand in better way. The screenshots is attached below for example.  Please help.

Any help from AutoDesk guys ??

Message 10 of 34
L.Maas
in reply to: bimGS2A8

Note that the ifcGUID are only generated after export to IFC. So if you add new elements to the project after exporting to IFC those will not have a IfcGUID parameter yet.

Louis

EESignature

Message 11 of 34
bimGS2A8

I have save as the family for the door tag and changed the door type (lable) as ifcGUID. I am not able to pply the ifcGUID tag to my door model.  as I am not able to find it into the schedule too.  I have also tried the HOT GEAR plugin to export aand import the ID's But still stuck in the same.  Please help... (I have attached the image for your reference)

Message 12 of 34

Do element GUID's change in an XREF file that is now bound into the host file? 

Message 13 of 34
Patty_Willow

Hi,

There is a free Revit plugin call DiRoots that can extract the GUID (and pretty much anything else) to and from excel

https://diroots.com/

Check it out

Cheers

Message 14 of 34
mdulaney
in reply to: Patty_Willow

Thank you Patty. I'll take a look.

Message 15 of 34
mguerinTFPFV

Merci pour cette information, mais que le cas ou on import un nouvel élément IFC dans du fichier en cours qui a déjà été exporté comme generer les nouveaux ifcGUID des elements importés.

Par avance merci de votre réponse.

Message 16 of 34
etudesH5W7D
in reply to: Patty_Willow

Hi,

When I export an IFC from Revit , I have some components without IfcGUID !!!

I don't know why.

Can you tell me a reason please.

Thanks

Message 17 of 34
mdulaney
in reply to: etudesH5W7D

No, I do not know. I'm sorry I could not help.

Message 18 of 34
etudesH5W7D

Hi,

When I export projects from Revit to IFC I have all time the same IfcSite GUID, IfcBuilding GUID, and IfcProject GUID for all projects.

Have you an idea about that?

Thanks

Message 19 of 34
mdulaney
in reply to: etudesH5W7D

No, I don't know why. Maybe someone from Autodesk can answer your question.

Message 20 of 34
etudesH5W7D
in reply to: mdulaney

Thanks anyway.

I hope there will be another person who will see my questions. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report