Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gap between panel and mullion

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
saleemaniyas
2618 Views, 24 Replies

gap between panel and mullion

Hi all,

I want to give a gap of 15 mm between the curtain panel mullion. how can I create it? I created a family that included glass and the mullion with a gap but it acts as a single-family so I didn't get the exact schedule. could you please help me to find this

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Welcome @saleemaniyas 

I understand you have created family which includes panel and mullion in it, if you add the parameter for gap between them you can schedule the same. 

In case you have added a nested family, then you need to check the shared to schedule review the help https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/ENU/Revit-C...

www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 3 of 25

but if I create a custom curtain panel family with the exact mullion profile and gap, can we get a separate schedule?

because it acts as a single-family. 

Message 4 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: saleemaniyas

Model your curtain panel family with a fixed gap to the left and right ref planes.

Message 5 of 25
barthbradley

@saleemaniyas wrote:

Hi all,

I want to give a gap of 15 mm between the curtain panel mullion. how can I create it? I created a family that included glass and the mullion with a gap but it acts as a single-family so I didn't get the exact schedule. could you please help me to find this

Sounds like this is fundamentally about Scheduling?  I wouldn't Model the Glazing (Panel) and Mullion in one Family.  I would build the Curtain Wall inside the Project using a Mullion and Panel Family Components - both of which are Schedulable.  Regarding the 15mm gap between the Panel and the Mullions; there's got to be something going on there besides air.   I would describe whatever it is through Details and forget about actually modeling the 15mm gap.  Frankly, a 15mm gap may be even be identifiable in the View once Thin Lines is turned OFF. You can definitely account for the gaps in Scheduling though via a simple Calculated Parameter. 

FWIW.  

Message 6 of 25
saleemaniyas
in reply to: ToanDN

HI,
Thanks for your reply,
I created it according to that, but it act a single-family.in schedule
Message 7 of 25
RDAOU

@saleemaniyas 

Unless you have modeled both in the same family or you are scheduling them as Walls, they are 2 different categories and you should be able to schedule separately... ie:

• Panels schedule under Curtain Panels
  • Mullions under Curtain wall Mullions

RDAOU_0-1648544450160.png

See below GIF for Custom Panel

Curtain Wall_Custom Panel.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 25
saleemaniyas
in reply to: RDAOU

Hi,

I uploaded 2 photos, one is the glass panel family which I created it has a gap I mentioned in the family creation. the second one is that after adding a mullion, the gap becomes more it's deducting the mullion width. I need only the gap which I mentioned in the family. how can I do that ?

Message 9 of 25
saleemaniyas

these are the 2 photos 

Message 10 of 25
saleemaniyas

this one

Message 11 of 25
RDAOU

@saleemaniyas 

There are no photos attached to your replies...did the GIF clarify the gap in the panel family?

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 25
saleemaniyas

qq.PNG

Message 13 of 25
saleemaniyas

the first one is without adding the mullion

second one is added the mullion and it's deducted from the length of the glass

Message 14 of 25
saleemaniyas

oh sorry the first one has added the mullion and the second one is without mullion

Message 15 of 25
RDAOU

@saleemaniyas 

Can you sketch what exactly you want to have?

Message 16 of 25
saleemaniyas

QQ.jpg

Here is the glass and the mullion profile. after adding the mullion, its deducts 15mm + mullion width from the glass.

Message 17 of 25
RDAOU

@saleemaniyas 

How did you model the mullions?? The panel should basically stops where the mullion profile cute the Center Plane Interior/Exterior... ie: with the panel shown in the previous GIF, you should achieve the same result

See Below GIF as well as the Revit file (v.2022)

Curtain Wall_Custom Profile.gif

Note: the border mullions always fall within the boundary limits of the curtain wall...ie: when you add them, the glass will automatically adjust. If you want to fix the glass size, then you would need to 

1. Either stretch the length of the Curtain wall by x2 the mullion width/base
  2. Or use nested curtain walls 
    • first for the border frame
    • second/nested for the Glass infill 

Message 18 of 25
saleemaniyas

thank you, I will try to create as you said

Message 19 of 25
mgb228
in reply to: barthbradley

We work in actual architecture offices, every day. I, like the OP, have a good reason why I'd like the mullion to have a 1/2" gap at the rough opening. We seasoned architects and designers don't need a reminder that something (sealant, backer rod, etc) will ultimately be placed in that gap. 

So if you don't have an answer to our question, consider not contributing at all. Or try this, "Sorry, there's no way to do that in Revit. We'll take note and add that to the next version." That would be better than gaslighting us in our own areas of expertise. 

Maybe Autodesk can replace the condescending explainers with Chat GPT? That would probably eliminate the ocean on non-sequiturs in these threads- not to mention be a better data collection tool for the developers. 

Message 20 of 25
ToanDN
in reply to: mgb228

@mgb228 wrote:

We work in actual architecture offices, every day. I, like the OP, have a good reason why I'd like the mullion to have a 1/2" gap at the rough opening. We seasoned architects and designers don't need a reminder that something (sealant, backer rod, etc) will ultimately be placed in that gap. 

That is quite easily achievable using the nested curtain wall approach.  See @RDAOU post above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators