Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free form element

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
gideon.botesB4GMB
1335 Views, 4 Replies

Free form element

Good day,

Using Revit 2021. Relatively new user. Added screenshots but unable to post the file due to company policy.

I've inherited a building model with a custom foundation family. This family only has one object in it, a free form element, which exists as one object with features like ducts modeled into it.

My problem is that I do not know how to model these features. They have a few grips in them, but only to extend the ends. I can also not find anything in the ribbons or help files that indicates any tool to modify these features, or how to work with 'free form elements'.

Any help appreciated.

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rxi.gg
in reply to: gideon.botesB4GMB

Can't you enter inside the family to edit that geometry?

Roi G. | AUTODESK REVIT & DYNAMO EXPERT

Da un "Me gusta" si la respuesta te ha resultado útil y acéptala como solución si ha resuelto tu duda.
Give a "Like" if the answer has been useful to you and accept it as a solution if it has solved your doubt.

Message 3 of 5
gideon.botesB4GMB
in reply to: rxi.gg

Hi @rxi.gg,

Yes I can. That is how I took the screenshots. Problem is, inside family editor it is just one object (Free Form Element) with grips. There are not the correct grips to allow me to make the changes I need to, nor do I find the required tools in the ribbon.

Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: gideon.botesB4GMB

These free form elements are coming from other software. Basically they are exported as meshes. You can not control those meshes (sometimes you can drag the grips a little) in Revit. As they are not things conforming to Revit elements you will have to go back to the source and ask to modify them. Alternatively you will have to remodel them in Revit and then hide/remove the free form element (all depending on responsibilities in the project).

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5

@L.Maas , I discovered this as I received your message.

After finally tracing the drafter who created this, they told me they'd imported it from AutoCAD, and upon finding those source files, I was able to finally modify and re-import it.

Thank you for your help guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report