Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the love of God, when will we be able to switch to Perspective view ?

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
jsanders
4590 Views, 40 Replies

For the love of God, when will we be able to switch to Perspective view ?

This really bothers me, as I like to zoom and navigate inside my projects. I work on big industrial platforms, and it's very painful to navigate around / inside huge buildings. I hate working in Orthogonal view.

In regards to this Google Sketchup is much easier to work with (Revit is by far better for real work).

I know it's possible to create a camera view and work in there, but it's really not practical at all.

Anyone know if in Revit 2016 this is possible ? If not can we have hope for Revit 2017 ?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Onward still he goes, Yet ne'er looks forward further than his nose ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
Kimtaurus
in reply to: jsanders

Agreed, it's a rail pain in the a** that there's no standard perspective view.

I usually use a section box to locate elements in the project, sometimes even copying the 3D view, so each view has a different size section box.

A usefull tool I find is the "Selection Box" When you select one or more elements, got to Modify > View > Selection Box. this automaticaly creates a section box, in the standard 3D view, around the elements.

>A usefull tool I find is the "Selection Box" When you select one or more elements, got to Modify > View > Selection Box. this automaticaly creates a section box, in the standard 3D view, around the elements.

I can't find the "selection box logo" : http://i.imgur.com/frgL8Zk.png

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Onward still he goes, Yet ne'er looks forward further than his nose ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Message 4 of 41
jsanders

bump.

Message 5 of 41
L.Maas

It is in the modify panel when you select objects.

SlectionBox.png

I think it was new feature in Revit 2016

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 6 of 41
jsanders
in reply to: L.Maas

This looks fantastic. We will have revit 2016 soon in the office. Can't wait to try it.

Hopefully there will be a perspective view in Revit 2017, and earth will be a better place.

Message 7 of 41
jsanders
in reply to: L.Maas

Hello Enlint,

We have revit 2016 now, and I tried clicking on the button you showed me, but the view does not toggle into perspective.

How can I toggle into perspective ? I would like my work atmosphere to be in perspective.

Message 8 of 41
RDAOU

@jsanders toggle perspective click and drag/rotate the 3D compass at the top right corner of the view

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

For the Love of God....when will we have a Tilt-Wall Tool?

:D....A few people here will understand...

Message 10 of 41
jsanders

Hello @RDAOU

Thank you for showing me some nice tricks.

However everything you show me is in orthogonal view. I want something in perspective view, and be able to work with this (like google sketchup or other 3D software).

Cheers.

Message 11 of 41
RDAOU

Orthogonal view? There is an orthographic projection which is a 2D projection on the 6 planes parallel to the coordinate axes of a 3D object  (this is in fact the 2Ds of an object) and then there is an isometry/isometric view which is a form of 3D whithout a V point and there is a Perspective which is a 3D view that has a V point (ie: a camera view)

If the above you see as orthogonal/orthographic; I am not sure I can help you.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 12 of 41
jsanders

@RDAOU It seems you don't understand what an orthogonal view is and what a perspective view is. Orthogonal, Orthograpic or Parallel view has no depth, it's a classic CAD drawing view, however you can't "navigate" properly in this view, you can't "go inside" the model. Perspective is with depth, with a vanishing point, and you can navigate inside the model.

Here is a simple explanation : https://i-msdn.sec.s-msft.com/dynimg/IC19065.jpeg or https://www.adebeo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/perspective-projection.png

At this time it is possible to have a perspective view in revit, only camera view, and it's very inconvenient to work with. I want to work with a perspective view.

Message 13 of 41
RDAOU

@jsanders 🙂 What can I say ... You know it all I don't that suffic (respect)...

Good Luck

Message 14 of 41
jsanders

@RDAOU I don't know what to say either. I'm certain that you don't undertsand what my initial question is.

"As I've said if the above you see as orthogonal/orthographic;" Yes I realize that, but that not what I want, in fact, that's the exact opposite of what I want. It's written in the title of this thread "Perspective"

I consider orthographic view to be the same thing as isometric view. Basically, Isometric is Orthograpic where you can move in 3D. Great. But there is no depth, you can't go "inside" the model.

Here is a simple image in which I hope you will understand with your 30 years of experience (incase the attached image doens't work here is a mirror : http://i.imgur.com/i8I34w7.jpg)

Cheers.

EDIT : THIS VIDEO explains very well what the difference is between perspective view and parrallel/isometric/orthogonal view (taken on google sketchup, where you can switch between the 2 types of views, and that's what I want in revit)

Message 15 of 41
RDAOU

@jsanders I was just trying to be polite to you but it seems you don't get it!! Even when you are being told you know it all!!

This is way off topic but it might, with lots of hope and luck, find its way to usefullness...HERE ON THIS LINK is the coarse which is being taught to students 2nd year Math at Harvard and 1st Year Engineering at Carnegie IT and which we teach here as an essential coarse for 1st year Architecture students...Read it and educate yourself properly on Descriptive Geometry instead of resorting to images on blogs. Its giving you quite a bad image as an engineer (if you are one)

PS: You should find your definitions on the first 10 pages of chapter 1. From their on you decide if you should read further or stick to the knowledge you already have.

As of this point and forward I am obliged to add you to the ignore list.

“Onward still he goes, Yet ne'er looks forward further than his nose.”  Alexander Pope

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous

Dear @RDAOU please read my comment :

You can see for yourself in google sketchup that there is a "perspective" view and "parallel view". I would like to have the same on revit.

I'm not talking about perspective view in mathematical terms (even though there is one), but in architectural drawing terms. That's how I was taught in architecture school in France. I also have an engineering degree, and that's where lies my profession now. I am still young and have plenty to learn, but what you are giving me is a harvard mathematic textbook about geometry. I am not a mathematican, I'm an engineer / architect. I can't draw perfectly, but I know my basics. How would you call the difference between "Architectural Perspective Drawing" and "Architectural Orthogonal Drawing" ?

I have read the 10 pages of chapter 1, and there is no such mention of perspective, neither of one-point perspective or two-point perspective. Look for yourself in the index page 209, there is no perspective written in the entire book...

You are telling me to educate myself, but every source I find tells me that perspective drawing in architecture is not orthogonal drawing. I don't understand your point of view, and you are shutting yourself off to discussion with an irrelevant quote, since I'm reaching out on this forum and trying to solve my problem and indeed am "looking further than my nose" and reaching out for others.

Message 17 of 41
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous or @jsanders or whichever name you have more...Mrd! I ingore you on one account you jump back in on another!!

Une projection ou vue orthografic est la traduction d'un objet 3D sur les 6 plans autour d'elle (la théorie de la boîte ) En d'autres termes, c sa ce que vous voyez dans un plan en coupe , le plan de masse, élévation en coupe, coupe, les élévations . C ta dir (X, Y) ou (X , Z) ou (Y,Z)

Une isométrie est une vue 3D avec X Y et Z (DEPTH), vous pouvez vous promener dedans et à travers elle... la différence entre une perspective et une isométrie peut être simplifiée pour les points de fuite est le point de vue. Alors que sur une isométrie vous pouvez facilement mesurer les côtés latéraux de l'objet 3D en utilisant une géométrie simple (calculs de triangle rectangle ) et la règle d'un étudiant de 3e année, dans une perspective que vous ne pouvez pas faire cela simplement .Le même principe est applicable dans Revit

Franchement, je ne peux pas expliquer plus loin. Vous devriez avoir étudié ceux-ci dans la première ou la deuxième année . Je sais le cericulum français très bien . J'ai enseigné deux fois dans l'école des beaux-arts de Toulouse et de Paris. Et quand vous dites que vous n'êtes pas un mathématicien me fait douter que vous avez été nulle part près de l'ingénierie

Now I am ignoring this account too so please don't make a third...I can't believe you have 2 accounts and you give yourself Kudos!! Thats the joke of the day lol

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous

Re-bonsoir @RDAOU,

Je suis désolé de devoir créer un autre compte, mais c'est le seul moyen de parler avec vous. J'ai soif d'enseignement et je veux apprendre. Par ailleurs je suis ravi de découvrir que vous pouvez parler français, cependant pour la facilité de compréhension des autres personnes présentes sur cet excellent forum, je vais repasser en ma 2ème langue maternelle si cela ne vous dérange pas.

--

Ok, I think I've understood what you're trying to tell me.

I said what you showed me was orthogonal, and you said that it's not, because it's isometric. Indeed isometric is different to orthogonal, on that technically I was wrong. As you said, orthogonal is a projected on a 2D view, just like in a box. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is isometric : http://i.imgur.com/mPc17Nk.png

However, I'm kindly asking if it's possible to have not and orthogonal view, not a isometric view, but a perspective view in revit. And my point is that the screencast you showed me is not perspective, and of that I'm pretty certain Smiley Happy

Also, you said "Une isométrie est une vue 3D avec X Y et Z (DEPTH), vous pouvez vous promener dedans et à travers elle..." which means for our non-french speaking friends that an isometric view is a 3D view with X,Y, and Z (DEPTH) and you can navigate inside and trough it. I disagree with you, you can't navigate inside a isometric view, that's impossible, you have to be in perspective. One can easily check this in revit : if you zoom and zoom to "navigate inside" you won't be able to.

Message 19 of 41
jsanders

Hello @RDAOU

I remember 2 years ago when you made fun of me because you didn't understand the difference between orthogonal view and perspective view.

With Revit 2019 we will finally be able to toggle the model in a perspective view.

Please see here : https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/uncropped-perspective-3d-view/idi-p/6603527/page/3

This is what I was asking for and after years Autodesk has finally decided to implement this feature 🙂

Message 20 of 41
ToanDN

It can already be done in any earlier versions of Revit.

Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report