Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family modelling of Statue

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
MirceaAJD
292 Views, 1 Reply

Family modelling of Statue

Hello everyone,

First of all happy new year and let this year Revit react the way you expect it.

I am looking to find the best way to get a statue (in this case a human bust) in a family environment. The requirements are as follows:

- needs to be in a family as I have multiple instances of the family at the project level

- It needs to be aesthetically pretty and accurate for rendering purposes. Materials are important even if it might be just one as a skin colour. 

My starting point is a Point Cloud from a site scan. I have tried to mesh it but all it creates are triangles which are not aesthetically pleasing. Therefore, I thought that a surface might be more appropriate for my requirements.

I think there are multiple approaches here: 

1. Photogrammetry

Go on site, take a lot of photos, use something like Recap Pro Photo to generate in the cloud a 3D model sufficiently accurate. Now I am not sure how to import that model into the family and keep the materials and intricacies of the surface. Will Rhino / Sketchup formats import properly in the family ?

2. Modelling as normal in the family environment 

I am not sure how to bring the point cloud in the family environment (via DWG?). It seems counter intuitive as there will be a lot of manual modelling, and the family does not seem the best environment to model surfaces.

3. Point cloud to surface algorithm

Any used something like Python to create a surface from a point cloud? After a bit of research there seems to be a method called 'Poisson surface reconstruction' ?

4. Using freelancers

What format and software will be most appropriate for achieving my targets if we sub out the work ? 

Any suggestions and thoughts on the best way to proceed will be highly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ToanDN
in reply to: MirceaAJD

Yes you can import Rhino or SketchUp model format in a family.

You can also generate a mesh from a point cloud via Recap pro then import the mesh in Revit via dwg format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report